Home Forum Ask A Member Checkup for good running motors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a few old motors (1930 vintage) that I was able to get running with a good cleaning of fuel system and some ignition work.They run great in a barrel.Should I go ahead and check pistons etc.just to be on safe side or not mess with a good thing and start using them?

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think you already answered your own question. THEY RUN GREAT. I would lubricate everything that moves or slides and lubricate lower unit and give it a go. Bill,

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with Bill, I did that with a Johnson A-50 last year seems to run pretty good on the boat too. I decided was worth a try and am going to try the same thing on a K-50 that wandered in. If you were going to be running them a lot day after day then might be worth tearing them down but for an occasional run think I would risk it.
          Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Coincidentally,the two I most want to run are anA50 and a KA38.Both have good original paint and I didn’t want to mess it up.I read a previous post about the aluminum "spark arresters" in the A50 getting eaten and got concerned.I’m pretty sure those are fuel atomizers on the intake ports.

Mumbles
            Participant

Don’t forget, the KA 38 requires 8:1 fuel mix!

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I saw that.The first time I saw it I thought it was a typo.I’ve been doing that ratio withTC-W30 for tank tests,is that OK for longer use ?

Mumbles
                Participant

The KA has a large rotary valve with two sealing rings on the crank so that is probably why it needs the heavy oil mix. I wouldn’t change it as they don’t make these parts any more.

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So the TW-C3 2cycle oil is ok?What do you use in yours?AND thank you for all the info.

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

the standard tc-w3 outboard oil is what I have been using,the A50 I ran at 16:1 will have to check and see what it should run. Last time out wind kicked up @ 20-25 it just pushed on through it on a 14′ boat pretty pleased.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

The Boat House
                      Participant

Sent you a PM.
                        Check your messages
                        top right of this page.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.