Home Forum Ask A Member Chirping Carburetor Syndrome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

I’ve been working on a 1951 Sea King 5HP – same as a Gale 5D10. I just rebuilt/cleaned the carb and thoroughly cleaned and adjusted the leaf plates. This carb is held on by 6 or 7 bolts and when I tighten up the bolts and pull the rope start, the carb chirps like a bird. If I leave the bolts somewhat loose, the chirp goes away. Any ideas?

Mumbles
      Participant

Reed valves are inherently noisy so maybe everything is OK? Loosening the bolts might allow an air leak past the reeds making them quiet.

On second thought, a good motor should chirp like a bird, purr like a kitten, and bark like a dog, all at the same time!

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

It’s probably air sucking through the leaf plates / reeds.
          Perhaps normal for these models?
          I’m working of an Atlas with the same power head,
          but am no way near to the point of "pulling" mine over
          to see if it sounds like a Chick-a-Dee.

Prepare to be boarded!

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

I’ve just never heard one chirp like this. And it didn’t do it before I removed/cleaned the carb.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Got the reeds & spacers & springs stacked up in the correct sequence?

Also, it sort of reminds me of a problem I’ve seen in the past where the studs / bolts / whatever were installed incorrectly, causing bending of the reed plate flange. I don’t remember all the exact details, but check it out.

Lastly, reeds are sometimes noisy, as already mentioned. Might be perfectly ok.

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

In looking at the service manual for the carb on the 5D10, it shows 2 spacers between the upper and lower reeds. Mine had only one. I had an extra 5D10 carb so I stole the spacers and added it to my rebuilt carb. It still makes some chirping, but a little less noticeable. Interestingly, the second carb had only one spacer between the upper and lower reeds also. I should also mention that there is no separate reed plate on this motor – the reeds are actually a part of the carb.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

One is thicker than the other

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

I just worked on the same carb today. Thinner spacer
                    was #35.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

lindy, did you put a drop of oil under them?

lindy46
                      Participant

US Member

Well, that’s interesting. The diagram in my manual shows 2 spacers between the reeds (#35) – so which is right? Frank – where does the drop of oil go?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.