Home Forum Ask A Member Chris Craft Challenger question – numbers?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I’ve got three Challengers that I have visions of making two restored motors out of….because that’s the number of "unobtanium" lower cowl sets I have…. One runs, but cosmetically it’s a toad, one’s a nice original, free, complete and untested (just picked it up last Sunday) and one is complete, but seized. The "runner" is S/N 1049J6028 which I am assuming is a 1949 (10/49 production) number 6028 (supposedly they started at 1000), the one I just got last weekend is a 1950, S/N 250J8645…..and the one that’s seized has no number….and no boss on the cylinder where it’s supposed to be. The screw heads don’t show any sign of past disassembly, and the motor appears to be pretty unmolested. Has anyone ever see this on one of these? Made out of parts? Start/end of production?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments:

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

I’m not quite sure what to think, that is strange. My guess is that it’s an early model ? The guy to ask is Lee Holland the Chris Craft guy. You can find his # on line. I have two of those motors myself, but I’d have to look at mine to see what the serial # situation is on them. The Challenger is what got me fascinated with Chris Craft motors. After I bought a Challenger, I ended up with two Commanders. Boy those Challengers will really idle down, wont they?

twostroke
        Participant

I had the good fortune to talk to Lee Holland Saturday 02/24 at an AOMCI meet in St. Clair Shores, MI about this numbering issue. He confirmed that the three or four digits preceding the J in the serial number IS month & year of production, and that the numbers started with 1000. He also confirmed that the oddball motor pictured above with a 4 digit number stamped into the head, and no boss cast on the cylinders is, in fact a very early production; the 347th motor built. He also added that this is the lowest/earliest number he’s seen.

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

That’s good information, thanks for posting! Sounds like that one is a keeper for sure.. watch out, the next thing on your list will be a Commander! Both a nice motors.
            Your post made me remember something…. I have a basket case Commander that has a strange throttle linkage set up.. it appears to be some kind of a remote throttle set up. Probably was a race motor sometime in it’s life. I’ll see if I can find a picture and post it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.