Home Forum Ask A Member Cleaning a 50’s OMC tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Just picked up a 58 Johnson tank. Inside is some surface rust. Was going to use the ammonia and nuts route. Question, is it ok to leave the solution in for a day or so with the aluminum pickup and foot? Don’t really want to take it out and break the top gasket seal. Any other cleaning solutions that might work better for this mixed metal environment?

ede
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Take unit apart and do it right the first time

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would agree take it apart and do it right probably needs a new gasket any way might as well get a kit and rebuild the tank that way you know it will not leak and lose pressure.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

1957evinrude
          Participant

US Member

I used a battery charger already and it worked so good. I don’t remember how I did it though .Maybe some one can post how to do it.

1957evinrude
            Participant

US Member

I found this and there are other videos if you decide to try.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tgugq78V7Y

david-bartlett
              Participant

For surface rust, electrolysis works well. Just don’t go crazy or you may take off the rest of the plating inside. Open the tank up and do it properly as others have said.

kirkp
                Participant

Bought your gasket/diaphragm kit yet? If so where did you get it. Looking for sources to pick some up.
                  Kirk

kevinrude
                  Participant
                    quote kirkp:

Bought your gasket/diaphragm kit yet? If so where did you get it. Looking for sources to pick some up.
                    Kirk

I’ve gotten a couple from Jeff Laing (member) at http://www.laingsoutboards.com near Buffalo. Be sure to specify whether you need the kit with the metal priming button or the plastic priming button.

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used vintage outboard and Laing’s as well as marine engine.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

I use Super Clean and HOT water to remove the varnish and crud. A little rust here and there really wont hurt anything.
                        I’ve always made my own top gaskets out of cork, I buy it bulk at Oreilly’s. I like to use the thicker stuff, as it gives a better seal. Install the new cork clean and dry, with no sealer. You have room to snug up the screws later, down the road if you have any leaks.. When you get it apart, make sure the one way check ball inside the pick up tube is free.. shake it and listen for it to rattle around.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.