Home Forum Ask A Member Cleaning Carbon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

What is the best method, or chemical to remove carbon buildup from the top of pistons that are already out of the head?
      Bob D

chris-p
      Participant

I don’t have a magical system, I mainly use Seafoam/Deep Creep, oven cleaner, etc… and an appropriate pad and elbow grease.

A local engine rebuilder bored a block for me once. I happened to have the pistons in the box with the block. They dunked it in their concoction, and they came out like brand new and polished! They wouldn’t tell me what they use….trade secret apparently.

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Chris, so far I have tried Seafoam, brake cleaner, and now Berryman carb dip, brushing once and a while with a brass brush.
          Nothing magical happening so far. That stuff is stubborn. Is it unadvisable to hit the top of the pistons with a brass wire wheel, if I stay away from the ring glands?
          Bob D

bobw
          Participant

US Member

I’ve used SeaFoam with pretty good results. On a recent job, I soaked the piston crowns in a small pan filled with Berryman’s B-12 fuel system cleaner which worked very well. See pics. With either the Berryman’s fuel system cleaner or their carb dip product, you have to leave it soak a good while.

Attachments:

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

destroyer85golf
            Participant

I don’t know if this will work for carbon, But I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I used to clean model airplane engines in a crock pot full of antifreeze. Don’t ask me , but it just works. They come out looking brand new .

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Has anyone ever tried a Ultrasonic carb cleaner?

Bob D

bill-loveland
                Participant
                  quote Chris_P:

I don’t have a magical system, I mainly use Seafoam/Deep Creep, oven cleaner, etc… and an appropriate pad and elbow grease.

A local engine rebuilder bored a block for me once. I happened to have the pistons in the box with the block. They dunked it in their concoction, and they came out like brand new and polished! They wouldn’t tell me what they use….trade secret apparently.

trade secret or non-EPA compliant – I wouldn’t want the authorities taking a close look at some of the witches brews I’ve concocted over the years

destroyer85golf
                  Participant

Over on the FB page a guy said he uses easy off. I’d believe it. when I get a new motor that has had the “ bubba “ paint job, I get the cheapest dollar store oven cleaner. It is the best thing at eating rattle can paint and grease I have found. Take it to a car wash and let it sit for about 5 minutes and hit it with a toilet brush. Good to go.

lloyd
                    Participant

US Member

I have also had good results on carbon with oven cleaner.

squierka39
                      Participant

US Member

Along with the solvents a wad of steel wool helps. Just be sure to clean it off really well afterward, steel wool leaves lots of bits behind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.