Home Forum Ask A Member Clinton Chief 350

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    outboardboy3
    Participant

Just picked this up today, it’s a Clinton Chief 350. It has good compression, and included the fuel tank, fuel connector, and lines. I payed $30 for it. Any information would be great, thanks.

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

According to my records, I have a 1958 Clinton, model J8.
        I think it has similarities to yours. I’ve never done anything
        to it yet.
        Not sure if this pdf file covers yours or not.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Back in the early 1950’s, there were 3 main contenders in the 4-stroke lawn mower engine field. Briggs & Stratton, Clinton and Lawson. While B&S probably outsold them all, Clinton was considered by many to be a better engine. By and by, Clinton came out with two-stroke engines, primarily used for chainsaws. The Clinton outboard was an outgrowth of the chainsaw. I suppose they were "ok" for their purpose. But this area being a salt water market, people bought them thinking they would avoid the salt water problem. Not so, they were cooled by blowing that salt air down over the engine for cooling, and lots of corrosion problems appeared. Not only that, like the Eskas, they had a crappy water pump to cool the exhaust. And when that crappy pump crapped out, the powerhead still got hot, as if it were sitting on a hot stove.

So, if you want a chainsaw on a outboard lower unit for fresh water, give it a shot.

BTW, don’t think of today’s chainsaws when thinking of 1950’s chainsaws. No comparison. The old ones were heavy, clunky and slow by comparison. But yep, they did cut trees.

squierka39
          Participant

US Member

For $30 you did good. The tank is often missing for those motors and the conector is unique to the Clinton. Not the best outboard motor ever made but still a neat bit of outboarding history. Get it running and enjoy it.

outboardboy3
            Participant

Just an update: I cleaned the points and put gas in it, started right up and ran strong! Very proud of its performance. For only $30, I’m very happy with it!

squierka39
              Participant

US Member

Fantastic. Now watch it multiply.

amuller
                Participant

My understanding is that this low-cost outboard market segment was originated by Clinton in the early 50s. Clinton built the whole thing. Some years later came along Eska, which used Tecumseh engines and closely copied the Clinton leg.

They are light, and perfectly adequate to go fishing, as long as you don’t mind the noise and vibration of what is essentially a lawn mower engine.

Sadly, Clinton just faded away in the 80s. Some of the Clintons call for an oil mix richer than 16-1. Maybe 12-1. Whether it’s really necessary with modern oils I don’t know, but something to keep in mind.

Some lawn mower ignition parts work. The fuel pumps can be a little wonky.

I suspect most of these motors were sold by Sears. I remember a corner-of-the-basement Eska dealer in Claymont, DE, who was quite crabby about supporting the Sears-sold motors.

Recently, for a few years, Briggs & Stratton was selling a 4-stroke motor of similar concept.

Have fun with it!

Alan

wrenchero
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i also have a clinton chief 350. havent worked on it yet.strange looking fuel pump. did someone say it has a water pump???

mn

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Some Clintons had a water pump, some did not. Look at the underwater exhaust outlet. Do you see a pipe coming out of there and curving toward the prop? If you do, the prop shoves water up through that pipe to cool the exhaust, thus no water pump. If no pipe, then it has a water pump to cool the exhaust. And boy do they ever get stinking hot if the pump fails.

wrenchero
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

sorry i probably should have started a new thread but that sounds easy enough. i just have to go in the shed and move a couple outboards out of the way. thanks

mn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.