Home Forum Ask A Member Clutch Dogs?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gypsmjim
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 1973 Evinrude 18 HP OB that has not been used in about 10 years. When I bought it I had new coils installed, an impeller, points, plugs, carb rebuild, etc. and it ran great. I used it regularly for about 3 years. Then, twice it kicked out of gear and in so doing it broke the prop cotter pin. Subsequently, I bought a brand new motor and kept the 18. It was properly mothballed when I put it away.

I would like to put her back in service and of course will replace the impeller again. Is it a logical conclusion that the clutch dogs need replacing? If so, are new parts available?

I’ve heard about turning it around, but I would prefer a new part. Anyone have a part number and source?

TIA…

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Original part number was 316501, changed to 0390030. marineengine.com has some. But first try a want ad on our classified ads pages.
        You might find a better deal here.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you say "kicked out of gear", do you mean it popped out of forward and stayed out of gear, or did it jump in and out of gear?
          You may want to try checking the shift rod connection, perhaps someone messed that up when they did the water pump job, there is also a little adjustment on the shift handle to make sure it is going into gear completely…
          I don’t want to give you too much false hope, but perhaps it can be fixed without disassembling the gearcase. The replacement parts are expensive for this engine.

gypsmjim
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

By "kicked out" I meant it went into neutral. The engine kept running but when I shifted it wouldn’t go into forward. Of course, the cotter pin was broken so it wouldn’t provide forward thrust anyway.

After I had it "reconditioned" it was in service for 3 years before this happened. After I replaced the cotter pin it seemed to work fine for a few days and then it happened again. We were on vacation at the time so the boat saw daily usage.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

If it is a worn clutch dog, turn it around on the shaft so the worn end goes to the reverse gear. That gear doesn’t have to transmit as much power and it will probably work fine.
              Dave

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote gypsmjim:

By “kicked out” I meant it went into neutral. The engine kept running but when I shifted it wouldn’t go into forward. Of course, the cotter pin was broken so it wouldn’t provide forward thrust anyway.

After I had it “reconditioned” it was in service for 3 years before this happened. After I replaced the cotter pin it seemed to work fine for a few days and then it happened again. We were on vacation at the time so the boat saw daily usage.

OK, so it pops out of gear and stays in neutral, correct? This might be a good sign, or it could be big trouble. You got it to work again, so I am hoping the crank/driveshaft splines are OK.
                Usually, when dog/gear lugs are worn, the engine will "jump" in and out of gear, buck, or you might hear a horrible ratcheting noise as the lugs jump over one another. But, you are indicating the engine just pops out of gear and stays in neutral.
                Does this rig have remote controls? If so, perhaps the shift cable is misadjusted.
                In any event, you will want to have a very close look at the shift linkage before ripping the gearcase apart needlessly. Slop in the linkage, loose shift rod connector, loose shift handle adjustment might be to blame. Sure hope the problem is minor….

frankr
                Participant

US Member

The motor in question has "Snap Shift" detent balls, which generally means that if it jumps out of gear it stays out because of the detent.

gypsmjim
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No remote controls. Tiller control.

I DO intend to put it on a classic Lyman, and then it will have a remote control box. Just trying to get her reliable before i go that route.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.