Home Forum Ask A Member color chart for Lausons 1940-1956

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lauson73
    Participant

I am new to restoring outboards and am looking for color chart or any information on original colors of 1940 to 1956 Lausons, have bin a member on this site for about 8 months and started with one Lauson now have 25 Lausons so time to start restoring them.
      Having hard time finding info on serial numbers to year on model 410 (1940-1947) ,paint colors,parts,any anybody with info on these motors.
      Also where would I find info on how to restore motor correct.
      thanks for all help
      Doug

Anonymous

Sorry I can’t help you but just had to say holy cr**, 1 to 25 motors in 8 months??? You are one sick puppy! 😆

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Doug, I only have one Lauson, a 6 hp T-651 which I just got.
          Perhaps by the time I get around to working on it, you’ll
          be the "Lauson" expert, and I’ll be asking for advise!
          P.S.- I’m missing the side cowlings, so if you have extras,
          I might be interested! 😉

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

jcrigan
          Participant

One color that was a good match was the appliance epoxy paint that you could find at most any store’s paint department. Maybe harvest gold? I don’t see it on the shelves any more. I have used Krylon colormaster "Bauhaus gold" with good results. Use a clear coat on this paint as gas will dissolve it almost immediately. The legs on all these motors seem to be a dull aluminum. On the 410’s the gas tank and the lower shrouds were also dull aluminum. The blue color you may have to find a match for that. I will take a painted part with me to a parking lot and compare the color with the cars there. Sometimes I get lucky and can get the right paint for my motor.

lauson73
            Participant

Thanks for the reply’s. I thought all the 410 were a dull gray although I have green,copper,red and cream colors on some.
              One of the 410 motors has a different exhaust system and a different handle assembly than all the rest so think it is one of the fist year (1940) but don’t know how to tell from serial number.
              Will start restoring motors next May so contact me then about parts at that time.
              Would like info on reference books or any info on how to restore properly.
              thanks
              Doug

jcrigan
              Participant

The first year Lauson 410 did have a different lower exhaust casting and tiller handle. Could you post a picture of this motor so others can see it? The torque tube may be brass or steel depending on year. I don’t know when they made that change. I have seen ads for two other Lauson motors (2.5 & 4 hp) that look like a lawn mower engine mounted on top of the same lower as the 410. I don’t know if they ever put these into production. On the smokestack website, there are pictures of a Lauson radial powerhead that could be the one they were planning to produce.

wedgie
                Participant

These are the two I was given by Lee Davies. The tanks and one lower shroud are stashed away, but I will dig them out and take a pic later tonight or tomorrow. Too bad you aren’t closer as shipping would be prohibitive

jcrigan
                  Participant

I see you have two different t600’s. You notice the exhaust outlet and lower unit are different? They made small changes each year on these motors.

lauson73
                    Participant

I don’t do computers very well so not sure how to post pictures but would like someone to walk me through that process I know where the on button is so need help in that department.
                      the picture of the t653 is a 1953 motor 6hp
                      the pictures of the t600s one is early 1948 and the other is late 48 to 50 I would have to look that up to be sure 6hp
                      I would like to thank everybody who have responded to my post, I have made some posts earlier with little response and was disappointed so thanks to all who have helped.

Would still like some info on books articles etc. on how restore these motors for a dummie, novice
                      thanks
                      Doug
                      Lauson 73

wedgie
                      Participant

Sorry you haven’t had much response. I guess there aren’t that many members who are familiar with the Lausons.

There’s a tutorial here somewhere on how to post photo’s. I will see if I can find it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.