Home Forum Ask A Member confused as hell using a timing fixture on a low-tension magneto

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I ran into this the last time I was setting the timing for a 9.9/15 between ’74-76. Looking at the crankshaft cam for points timing, one side opens up TOP "T" at TDC, the other side, when using the tool, does not open for the BOTTOM "B" at TDC cylinder 2. What the heck am I missing here?

I set cylinder 1 like a regular magneto, but cylinder two (once I rotate the fixture 180°), isn’t opening the 2nd point when the "B" on the fixture is between the timing marks.

Frank I know you right ‘mentally reverse’ in your instructions, but I guess I have a mental-malfunction at this time 😕

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Once you set the first set, you do as you did, rotate the fixture/crankshaft 180 degrees then set the second set of points… I am guessing that if they are not open,…. then you need to set them. Probably were that far off to begin with… just my thoughts…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

johnyrude200
        Participant

Of course, 5 mins after the last post I put up, what I found is to disregard the T & B stampings on the fixture. It is the opposite of the stampings when the cam hits the respective set of points, due to the low tension magneto function. Hope this makes sense…will know when I go to fire the motor off for the first trial. Started this morning at 9:30 and built a 9.9 from scratch from the ground up. If all works well, it’ll get a full makeover tomorrow and look/run as good as new.

I can say the spark is jumping 3/4 inch right now…so unless timing is wrong, I expect it to at least pop off!

johnyrude200
          Participant

Wanted to confirm – you just reverse the stampings on the timing fixture. Motor popped off after 3 pulls, and have just tuned in the timing. Now I have to chase down a cooling system issue…1st run, ran cold. Shut the motor down to do a link ‘n sync, run it again, now it’s not pumping water and was building toward a progressive overheat.

Thermostat and/or impeller time (impeller looked OK prior to running, but looks are deceiving)!

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not pumping with a new impeller was quite an adventure for me. Split the cases to get water to enter & exit among other items like plugged water tube impeller line from a stranded wiper blade. Can’t forget the impeller cover did not seat flush against the impeller housing as well. Now with the correct laminations & replacement of coils I may have a missing issue with the magneto thinking the carb was dirty. Time will tell me what I missed, I’ll bet on it!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.