Home Forum Ask A Member Cracked coils ?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    richardg
    Participant

US Member

Speaking of economics:

I like to determine if a motor is worthy of the new coils, if I am going to hold onto the motor, or if the existing coils are functional. New coils add significantly to the cost of the basic repair and I do like working on motors as much as using them periodically.

If the bendix coils measures good and only a few hairline cracks that are a distance from the central core I have had pretty good results with a several recoatings of electrical liquid tape followed by a overall covering of heat shrink. Clean the exterior surfaces before recoating since they have a waxy feel. I scape then use a electrical cleaner spray. Do not overheat the coil when heat shrinking, I damaged a couple that way. I also have repaired cracked insulation on the low voltage wires with small diameter heat shrink. So far none have failed. They always get new spark plug wires just wrapped around (and not soldered) to the high voltage terminal and that are then are laid in a bed of dielectric grease rather than the original wax in the protective rubber skirt/boot around the high voltage terminal.

I do pick and choose the bendix coils I try to fix this way. Badly cracked coils go in the garbage.

I often find that significant green corrosion on the connection at the high voltage tab to spark plug wire that might make the spark look bad.

I have been told by Bob Grubb that some of the Mercs models can get by with a weaker spark from the coils than ones with higher compression.

Timmy D mentioned to me that weak rotating magnets on Bendix ignitions have been the source of a number of weak and intermittent spark problems along with wear that messes up the point gap as you rotate the magneto advance. He also suggested to use glipto(?) instead of liquid tape since it holds up better at high voltage.

I would not bother to try this with OMC and Phelon coils.

2fast4me
      Participant

GlIPTO?, I got a tip from i think Jeff Register to use Corona dope or Super Corona dope, "glipto" might be the same stuff. You can find it on line, Caution— the 2 Oz. bottle cost $12.00 with $30.00 Hazmat shipping charge. Next time I ask!
        Jim

2Fast4Me

seakaye12
        Participant

US Member

In another thread Mercuryman pointed out that Standard has a Phelon-equivalent coil for $24.95. I thought I’d mention it here as I was not aware of it. Standard #S3-604

Mumbles
          Participant

GLYPTAL is an electrical paint used on windings and things. It looks like red oxide primer and is great stuff for sealing the metal pores inside engine blocks.

http://www.electro-wind.com/paints-varn … 361-g.html

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant
              quote Mumbles:

GLYPTAL is an electrical paint used on windings and things. It looks like red oxide primer and is great stuff for sealing the metal pores inside engine blocks.

http://www.electro-wind.com/paints-varn … 361-g.html

Mumbles-good info on the Glyptal. I have never heard of that product before. Thanks. Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.