Home Forum Ask A Member Cylinder # location

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fishingnuts
    Participant

On a 2 stroke 2 cylinder johnson/evinrude, which cylinder is #1, the bottom or the top??

Mumbles
      Participant

I always refer to the top cylinder as being number one, but I’ve been wrong before.

fishingnuts
        Participant

Thats what I always thought, but another told be the bottom cylinder is number one. I guess hook up the wiring and if backfires, wrong cylinder.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Top one is always #1 on Evinrude/Johnsons twins.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe that is also true of there threes, fours, sixes and eights. Just to confuse the issue, some 4 cycle motors are numbered by firing order. . . 😆

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Wanna make it even more confusing? Four cylinder, four stroke Homelite outboards are numbered from the bottom – up. That’s because it is a car (Crosley) engine standing on it’s nose. OK, now that I’ve opened that can of worms, how about the modern 4’strokes of today? Outta my realm.

fishingnuts
                Participant

When i get the ignition completed, I’ll use the top cylinder as number one and will let you know. It might be a week or month or so, the weather here is still in the 20’s and 30’s. Thanks for all the imput.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

does it matter front coil is for the top back coil the bottom cyl.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

aren’t they mark with a tab on the top wire that says top and nothing on the bottom wire ????????

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes, the upper spark plug wire should be marked "TOP". . . 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.