Home Forum Ask A Member Deciding between vintage and "vintagized"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jeffersonsharp
    Participant

So I have twin 57 Johnson 35’s on my boat and you all have been exceptionally helpful to me getting them running. I’ve really been enjoying them this summer and the boat is always a conversation starter at the dock. The engines are mechanically 95+% there. They are however in need of a cosmetic restoration. Pushing my 18′ 57 Lonestar Eldorado up here at 4k-8k elevation they’ll do 17-21 mph wide open. That’s fine for a fishing boat, but, I’d also like to tow skiers occasionally. I am being slowed down somewhat by a hook in my stern created by the ill fitting transom extension. I have a late 70’s v4 Johnson I’d like to run but I’d really miss the look of the vintage 35’s. I’m really smitten by the looks of the 58 Johnson super seahorse 50hp v4, and I’ve seen where some have fitted those cowlings to the later v4s. I found a cowling on eBay with a bad paint job and several missing trim pieces. The seller wanted $95 for it plus $21 shipping or best offer. I made an offer on it but we failed to come to an agreement. The seller has since raised the shipping to ~$40. So any way I have a few questions for any of you who would be so kind as to help me out.

Question the first: I know these motors are rare, and finding just a cowling likely more so. But, just how rare? Am I likely to never see another one? How much should I expect to pay for a fair to good example assuming I can ever find one?

Second question: Ok, the first was three but eh. I’ve found most of the missing trim pieces in a reproduction set on eBay for $99, but still missing are the "Super Sea" chrome words from the Super Sea Horse 50hp emblem on one side, and the center slotted trim piece in the scallop on the front access hatch. Does anyone here have those pieces that they’d be willing to sell? Would the pieces from a 58 35hp Super Seahorse fit on the 50?

3: Yea, so I’m bad at counting questions. Do any of you have one of those cowlings you’re looking to sell? I’m way too emotionally invested in this idea so I’m probably prime to be taken, but I’m not rich so…

4: have any of you done a project like this? What were the unexpected pitfalls? Would you do it again?

5: I’m interested in hearing people’s opinions on what I should do, so, what do you think?

Sorry for the super long post, I really did try and keep it concise. Thank you.

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

Post "Wanted" ad on our classified board here – the ad is free – you will probably find more than one person parting out an old fat 50 Johnson or Evinrude.

For $99, I’d expect to get a whole parts motor that may or may not be restorable.
        Dave

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Anything that helps you enjoy the hobby more is alright with me. I think a fat fifty cowl on a V4 is a great idea. I considered it, as well. Instead, I am putting twin 1961 Johnson 40 hp’s with 1958 Super Seahorse cowls on my 1956 Lone Star Cruisemaster. That project is a long way from done. I am curious what prop pitch you are running on your twins. I know that elevation plays a part, but 17-21 mph sounds low on an El Dorado.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

frankr
          Participant

US Member

How about just putting a later V4 powerhead on the fat fifty? No, I have never tried it. But it sounds easy.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

That "Football lower unit works well on a barge or houseboat, but the pointy gearcase on the 75 is faster on a lighter boat. That classic look was much preferred over our modern ugly . . . 😎

– – – – – – Yamarude ? ? ?

jeffersonsharp
              Participant
                quote outbdnut2:

Post “Wanted” ad on our classified board here

Done

quote wbeaton:

I am curious what prop pitch you are running on your twins. I know that elevation plays a part, but 17-21 mph sounds low on an El Dorado.

That’s a good question none of the props I have aren’t marked, I don’t even know if I’m running the same pitch on both motors. I’m going to take them to a prop shop and have them gauged. That’s just one of several avenues I have left on the table to pursue more performance. There’s the hook from the sagging extention that pushes the bow down enough to cause almost a reverse porpoising effect in waves and send spray up the chine at the bow and into the boat (I don’t have a windshield installed). The engines sit a couple inches lower than necessary. There’s some peeling paint on the bottom that I’ve yet to remove. And, I think I can probably eak a little more from one or both engines. So yea, I’m far from sure about the final performance yet. I also plan on catching and recycling the bypass oil to clean up the oil slick.

quote FrankR:

How about just putting a later V4 powerhead on the fat fifty? No, I have never tried it. But it sounds easy.

I’m pretty sure they changed the bolt pattern sometime mid 60’s and I’m sure the drive shaft water tube and shift linkage wouldn’t line up but it’s well within my capabilities to do I think. It’s just I’d like to retain the trim and tilt too.

quote Garry in Tampa:

Yamarude ? ? ?

😀 that looks great! Any unexpected hassles with the conversion?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Actually, I think you can go as much as 100hp with that bolt pattern. But I was really thinking like 75-80 or so, keeping with similar carb and ignition system.

jeffersonsharp
                  Participant

Oh I see what you’re saying frank, that would be sweet, but in that case I’d have to source two motors. One ’58 Johnson fat50, and a mid 60’s 75-100 hp. I already have the ’78 motor so…

Actually I think I will keep an eye out and my ear to the ground for those motors while I search for a cowling.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Actually all you really need is the cover. It fit perfectly on my 75 lower unit with the 100 horse powerhead. That is essentially what I ran on a 14′ experimental Speedliner. I had a lot of fun with it. Nothing on the lake would touch it and with the cover Paded with a cut up wet suit you could not hear the motor at all. It prompted a lot of 6 cylinder Mercury owners to take there outboards in for a tune up . . . 😆

jeffersonsharp
                      Participant
                        quote Garry in Tampa:

Actually all you really need is the cover. It fit perfectly on my 75 lower unit with the 100 horse powerhead. That is essentially what I ran on a 14′ experimental Speedliner. I had a lot of fun with it. Nothing on the lake would touch it and with the cover Paded with a cut up wet suit you could not hear the motor at all. It prompted a lot of 6 cylinder Mercury owners to take there outboards in for a tune up . . . 😆

😆 😈 😆 Yes! This is what I want to do. I named my boat the Aluminum Falcon, so making it a sleeper would give it some credibility.

Incidentally I found a 68 100hp on a boat locally but I think I’ll wait. I’ve been bringing home and junking out to many boats lately and my neighbors are starting to give me looks. There was also a 58 fat50 listed today but it’s in Canada and I don’t want to pay that shipping bill for a motor, or take a road trip. So, still looking.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.