Home Forum Ask A Member Does anyone live in Northern Ca and know lower units on 1957 johnson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dobber
    Participant

well i have 3 lower units and the gears and clutch dogs for all of them. i can’t seem to get the boat running correctly without slipping. i don’t know what clutch dog to use with what gear etc etc. if anyone with experience who lives near petaluma ca, i could really appreciate the help

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

When a clutch dog fails it is more like hitting a log "feel" than a "slipping" feel. You are certain that you have a clutch-dog issue?

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

dobber, make sure your propeller is NOT spun. If your motor is slipping a spun prop sounds more likely than a clunking sound that jumping out of gear makes.

dale

Alan
          Participant

Hi;
            I’m not one of the experts here, but the last time I had a problem like this, it was, "ventilating".
            Seems Dad’s old aluminum boat has a keel which sticks down more than an inch, and the prop seems to been grabbing some air at certain speeds.
            It felt like the prop was slipping, or the boat was jumping out of gear briefly.
            But, when we put a spacer in, moving the motor back an inch or so, the problem stopped immediately.
            So, assuming you have the correct motor for your transom height, you might check and make sure the motor hangs low enough, including the keel.
            Best of luck and happy motoring!
            Alan
            Central CA

cheetahgod
            Participant

Hi dobber. I live 30 minutes from petaluma. I don’t have experience with that motor. Hello!

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Look for one looseness in the linkage from the shift handle to the shifter dog clutch. Loose screws and worn parts can reduce the amount of clutch movement. This will accelerate ware, as the clutch will not fully engage.
                Condition of the propeller is also a factor. Damaged blades can induce cavatation. The propeller clutch must not slip below 150 foot pounds of torque. It is also defective If it doesn’t slip at 180 Foot pounds. . .
                🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.