Home Forum Ask A Member Drain hole or ding?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oc92
    Participant

I have a mid-60s Evinrude 60 hp motor that I just got on an old boat and there is a hole in the lower unit that does not look like a factory drilling. It was suggested to me that it may be milled. Does anyone have a mid-60s Evinrude that they can go do a visual on for me? It is the hole right above the phillips head screw near the oil fill plug on the port side of the lower unit. Is there a diagram anywhere of the various water weep holes?

mas
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not sure…this diagram does not really show. Search for other years?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … p-standard

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Darn it, I’m the guy that told you that is a milled drain hole. To prove it, I just went out and took a picture of one. Now my computer is acting up. Gr.r.r.r. When I get it, I’ll post it.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Sorry, had to re-boot the computer.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Definitely a ding. It could let water into the gearcase if it opens to the section where the shift rod is.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

Im not sure why they are there, but every V-4 of the era has one that I worked on. I’m with Frank on this one. It is a machined mark for some reason. The oring you see in the parts break down seals the complete area and that little notch is outside of the oring.

Dan in TN

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I gave away the upper section of this gearcase, but you can see where it was on the lower section. It is a milled drainage slot to keep water from freezing and busting the upper gearcase section.

oc92
                  Participant

Frank… I owe you a beer. Yes I did post this question on another forum and you can see why I had my concerns. That hole does NOT look original but your picture verified it for me. Thank you for taking the time to post that pic. I looked at lower unit pics on Ebay and google images and could not get a clear shot. Thanks!!

legendre
                    Participant

Nice feature. Making sure that hole is clear should be part of the winter storage procedure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.