Home Forum Ask A Member Electric start "back in the day"….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I also am looking for a starter bracket for a ’69 (or close) 25 hp.

My impression is that all the electric shift big twins had generators, I presume because with a dead battery you can pull-start them, but without enough juice to energize the forward solenoid you are not going anywhere under your own power. Am I right about this?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

You are right – – –

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

A small solar charger will keep the battery charged. I had one on my pontoon with a "57 Evinrude Lark and I never had to manually charge the battery all summer. I even used a fish finder and running lights at night

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Back a few had a 1942 Dodge 4 wheel drive, Ran 24 volts & a Clatterpiller gennie, That 6VT starter spinned or smoked, check everything 😉

nabmd
            Participant

US Member

Back in ’84, when I was stationed at Ft Polk, LA, I bought a used boat with a 40 HP Johnson; got it all fixed up, and ready to go. I was able to pull start it. Off we (wife and 2 young dau) went to the Army Recreation center on a nearby lake; put it in, pull started it, pushed off from the dock and hit the "F" button; nothing happened, so I tried again several times as we slowly drifted further from the dock. Then I realized I needed a battery to run the electric shift! So, with both daughters asking why we weren’t going anywhere, I paddled back to the dock, and pulled the boat back out, and went back home! I bought a Marine battery the next wkend!

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

When you said "Back in the Day" I thought of this 1931 Elto advertisement . . . 😆

Evinrude used this system through 1941 . . .

Randy in Tampa
                Participant

Me too! 😉

quote Garry in Tampa:

When you said "Back in the Day" I thought of this 1931 Elto advertisement . . . 😆

Evinrude used this system through 1941 . . .

phil-b
                  Participant

Me three… For a while I kept forgetting that it wasn’t about pre-war stuff, and being surprised each time….

pm-t2
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The Owen-Dyneto electric starter-generator are the only electric start motors that I will ever collect.

Haven’t managed to acquire one with the squarish "veranda" starter, as Sam Vance refers to them…. but I’ll keep at it

Best,
                      PM T2

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

FANTASTIC
                        beautiful collection, I love those Super Cs . . . 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.