Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Rudder Twin

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Judging by the fuel tank and midsection I’d guess your motor is actually a 1923 model A. Should have a solid rudder. The hollow rudder upgrade on your motor is quite common and provides better cooling. This is important because the cooling lines you are looking for first appeared in 1923. 1921-22 are completely different. You need 1923-25 model A or C cooling lines.

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

David Jenkins
      Participant

US Member

Wayne, thank you.  Can you, and all the other helpful folks give me some pointers on where I can learn more about these engines?  They are quite unique!  Like how two of you know that this was a combo engine.  I will get this on running. But I have only worked on two 60’s Johnson motors. I do have experience with battery and low tension coils on hit and miss engines.

Thanks again.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Ruddertwin’s changed a little every year. Once you’ve seen enough of them you start to know the differences by year. All square tank motors were solid rudder. 1922-23 have the tank filler at the rear like yours. Your mid section shows evidence of once having the water inlet on the midsection above the prop so it’s obviously pre-1924, which means it started life with a solid rudder. The exhaust cut out is a large round piece. That style was first introduced in 1923 so by deduction you must have a 1923 model A with hollow rudder upgrade. PM me your email address and I’ll send you a soft copy of the operator’s manual for your motor.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

David Jenkins
          Participant

US Member

Wayne, thank you so much.  I am new to this website, as evidenced by my multiple photos of the same thing.  How do I PM you?  As an aside, when I was a kid, my parents took us every year to two lakes in Eastern Canada.  Big Crosby, and Little Crosby near the town of Westport.  I got to run our Johnson 3hp for hours by myself on those lakes.  A 63 Johnson 3hp was my first motor that I was able to bring back. Took a lot of work, but parts were readily available.

Thanks again.

Dave Jenkins

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I grew up 30 mins south of Westport. Beautiful area. Can’t wait until I can retire and go back. If you click on my name it will take you to my profile. There is an option to send me a message in there.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
              Participant

The main part on your motor that was changed was the rudder.
                Your motor originally came with one like this. Easy identifiable
                once you know what to look for. Searching – Ole Evinrude –
                history- biography – outboard motor -.Super Elto and so on
                can provide a lot of info on how Elto Light Twin and other
                Elto models came about. As far as knowing and being able
                to identify a model year by its parts that comes from investigating
                each example you come across learning what is correct and
                what isn’t. As far as the operation, here are couple videos I have
                done for those that are new to Elto and Super Elto motors.
                I hope they give you some basic understanding of how they
                function. This is amazing technology for its day as to how well it
                works when you consider its moving into its 100th year.
                Tubs

https://youtu.be/zLS6IglCy9k

https://youtu.be/qNj7TLNeeOw

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.