Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Sportster Not Pumping Water

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    pj43
    Participant
      quote legendre:

quote pj43:

quote legendre:

Are you sure that the impeller is actually turning?

Have you blown out the water passages – both into and out of the water pump housing?

I’m pretty sure its turning but I don’t know how to check for sure. And as for the second part, sort of. I have put degreaser in the holes to make sure the was no oil blocking the tubes.

I don’t know enough about your specific motor to tell you how to verify impeller rotation – but if it’s gear-driven directly by the prop drive shaft, that’s another matter.

For anyone wondering, this is the impeller in my motor.
      http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=6942799

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

I am not a omc man, But some of the early ones need to be moving to pump . won’t pump well in a test tank.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

That is the gale pump. Impeller is properly called a rotor. It must fit closely on the etcccentri c in the center and just touch the housing on one side. Other said side should have a space

phil-b
          Participant

one reason why "wobbler" pumps stop is the rubber expanding (from saturation with grease):
            the hole gets too large for the eccentric.

In the US the "Sportster" was part of a short (one year?) post-WWII revival of the Elto brand.
            In Canada, Elto was the equivalent of the Gale brand, and lasted longer (thru the 50’s?)

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

OK – Here is the parts book …

A better view of the pump …

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Johnson uses a similar rotor pump –

pj43
                Participant
                  quote Phil B:

one reason why “wobbler” pumps stop is the rubber expanding (from saturation with grease):
                  the hole gets too large for the eccentric.

In the US the “Sportster” was part of a short (one year?) post-WWII revival of the Elto brand.
                  In Canada, Elto was the equivalent of the Gale brand, and lasted longer (thru the 50’s?)

Yeah that may be the case. Do you know where I might be able to find one? (P.S. I think you are right, I’m pretty sure the Elto Sportsters were only made in 1949 and 1950.)

Randy in Tampa
                  Participant

try taking off the lower unit submerging and water and spinning the driveshaft with a drill to see if it is pumping water if It is when it’s either a seal or a blockage , I had a similar problem with Scott at water and it took me eight times to get it right 😎

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I was out in the woods when I made my previous post, doing it on a smart fone. Trying to type on that micro keyboard ain’t smart. Anyhoo, yes, grease is the culprit. It makes the rubber swell up and become useless. Club member Brian Wilcox makes nice reproductions ones. call 810-794-7685 before 8 pm EST please. Or email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

legendre
                      Participant

@pj43

Those ‘wobbler’ type pumps are among the simplest designs around, there’s not much to prevent them from working, other than excessive clearances – as others have noted.

I don’t mean to be insulting, but are you sure the little drive pin #550082 is in place? The pin is about 1/4" long, and inserts into the prop shaft. The eccentric #550085 then slides over the prop shaft, and has a machined groove to accept the drive pin. Finally, the rubber rotor (aka "wobbler") #550040 is fitted over the eccentric.

No pin = no eccentric rotation = no water flow. And they’re so easy to lose or just overlook.. Also, a missing gasket or intermediate plate will shut things down, too.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.