Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Super A points

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I started working on an Elto Super A I picked up a few months ago. I got the coil rewired and cleaned up the points. This is a battery Elto with standard type points. The problem I’m having is I cant get the points to close properly. With the timing lever set at the center I can get the points to close briefly as they should but if I swing the lever to the left the points no longer close. If I swing to the right they only make for a short time then they dont close anymore.
      I have a suspicion that the flywheel where the points ride has been monkeyed with. I would assume that the flywheel should be completely round with a small flat spot where the points close. Whats there is a small flat spot but on either side it looks as if its been machined a bit.

if someone has a picture of the bottom of the flywheel I would really appreciate it and also would like to know the proper gap on the points procedure for this motor.

Thanks in advance. Phil T Yankee AOMCI member

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

Check the members only section.

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

what am I looking for there?

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Elto Super A Points . . . 🙂

The Boat House
            Participant

This points ignition functions backwards of most
              as the points remain open until you want the plugs
              to fire as opposed to where the points are
              closed till you want the points to fire. Here is a
              slideshow of how it functions that may be helpful
              in understanding how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLS6IglCy9k

Tom
              Participant

US Member

Hi Phil,

If I read this correctly, yours is the type with normal looking points and no coil on the "mag plate". If not, ignore the rest of this post.

The points have a long arm with a fiber button that rides on a cam on the flywheel. If so, it’s likely that someone bent the point arm trying to install the flywheel. (they installed the flywheel such that the motor was at TDC relative to the timer. Bendix had this problem, too. Check to see if the arm is bent downward at all.
                Then check to see that with the flywheel installed, that the cam rider is up far enough on the cam. This may be tricky, since that flywheel is closed on top.

Tom

jimross
                Participant

This timer is different from all the others in that the timer is doubling for the off or kill switch. The steel sleeve which is pressed onto the crankcase neck and secured by a pin is an eccentric and is made off center and when is over the left cylinder the points are to far apart to make contact. When just forward of center over the right Cyl. you will make contact. There is raised part of the Timer on the left side of the timer collar with a point, you line this up with a mark on the crankcase collar or on the crankcase below it. With the timer cover removed you will find a point adjustment with a tiny screwdriver slot in it, you loosen the lock nut and adjust the points from the side.
                  If this doesn’t work you can call me at ph. 1-731-584-2195 or send e-mail to <sogentiiiky@gmail.com> and I will send pix to you. Jim Ross

lyks2tinkr
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the good explanation of the operation of the timer.
                    When I get a chance I’ll give what you said a whirl.
                    One question remaining, is the flywheel hub where the points ride supposed to be completely round with the exception of the flat spot where the points close?
                    What I have is not completely round. It tapers into and out of the flat spot.

jimross
                    Participant

Yes , that sounds correct but It is in a different spot then the magneto style and don’t interchange. This style of timer was used on Elto’s from 1932-37 as single and stacked versions for 4 Cyl. models. Super A, Jr. & Sr Quad, Sr. Speedster & Super C. Jim.

lyks2tinkr
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Jim, I’ll let you know how I make out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.