Home Forum Ask A Member End play on 1957 35 HP Evinrude Lark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rushwal
    Participant

Hello,

I’m doing my first ever tear down of an outboard, and I need some guidance.

I have a 1957 35 HP Evinrude Lark that I’ve been disassembling in order to repair/replace parts in hopes of getting it running. I had a broken off bolt in the power head that a friend repaired, and when he was looking it over, he noticed that the "The crank has 0.040" end play" which he felt was excessive but wasn’t sure. He suggested asking here.

I haven’t split the crank case yet, so I haven’t looked over the internals.

Thanks for your help!

Trey

Pete
      Participant

US Member

Not familiar with the Erudes and do not know the setting but sounds like 0.040 is excessive, typically it is much less than that, ex the old mercury’s use 0.008" – 0.012". Someone on this site should know the setting. You will need to open it up to use shims to set it. Not sure if there are shims at the top and bottom bearings. Look up your engine schematic with engine serial # on a parts site like

http://www.crowleymarine.com

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I just checked the Evinrude factory service manual, and they do not list a spec for that. However, I can tell you from experience that most that I’ve seen had a surprising amount of end play. What did I ever do about it?? Nothing except keep on running it. It doesn’t seem to hurt anything. However, I suggest using a quad ring inside the lower carbon seal instead of the original o-ring. Quad rings are better at sliding on the shaft as it moves up and down. O-rings tend to roll instead of slide.

rushwal
          Participant

Thanks for your quick responses, but you may need to break it down a little more for me. What are quad rings? Where do I get them? What size?

This is my first time

Thanks!

Trey

vintin
            Participant

The quad ring seals the lower crank bearing. It’s like a 90 degree cornered O ring and an upgrade from what you likely have on your motor.

The upper seal will be a regular seal and not a quad ring.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Showing a quad ring cut in half. OMC changed to using them at some time after yours was built. You can get 100 of them for less than dealer price for one.
                http://www.mcmaster.com

rushwal
                Participant

Got another question for the motor experts. I’ve removed the head and am replacing the head gasket. The service manual is a little vague about whether the head gasket should use "Perfect Seal #4" along with the rest of the crank case gaskets. Does it need to be installed dry or with the extra sealant?

chris-p
                  Participant

If you bought a new gasket, it will have a coating applied to it at the factory. If it does, you do not need any additional sealer. Simply torque to spec. Start at 1/2 torque value, then 3/4 for a round, then the final torque setting for a round. Start in the center, and spiral outwards with every pass. Coat the bolts in the sealer though. Dress the head to ensure it is true.

Attachments:

rushwal
                    Participant

Thanks!

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

Everyone of those Big Twin’s that I’ve ever worked on had the end play that your speaking about. Nothing to worry about.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.