Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4423 3.3hp Fuel tank

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    greg-o
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am working on a Evinrude 4423. The fuel tank had a lot of foriegn material in it that was pluging the valve on the bottom of the tank, and restricting the flow of fuel. I tryed to clean the material out, but had to end up splitting the tank to clean it. The tank was leaking anyway. What is the best material to seal these tanks? There is no gaskets that I could see. The material that was there reminds me of the material we use to seal the lower gear case halves of the old OMCs.

greg-o
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

greg-o
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

You did the right thing taking the tank apart, especially because it was leaking. The hard part is now getting everything clean and especially the area to be sealed. There are several products that you can use to seal it up. One readily available one is the Permatex Anaerobic Sealant No. 51813 https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERMATEX-ANAER … -1&vxp=mtr.

The screw threads also need to be coated with the same sealant used for the tank. A Phillips head screwdriver is helpful to line up the two halves for initial placement. Be careful not to use too much sealant on the tank, or you can have trouble getting the halves completely seated. Some light taps with an impact driver can help pull it together after hand tightening.

Mumbles
            Participant

The 51813 Gasket Maker was used on this 4425 tank with good results. You can see the three coil screws (with the heads cut off) used for the alignment of the two halves. It’s been close to four years now and no leaks yet!

Attachments:

skanders01
              Participant

I am also working on a 4423. I wished mine looked like Mumbles last picture…except all the fun would be over already. Ready to paint the tank. Have appropriate paint colors, but I have no clue about the letters, except that they stand proud of the tank, look like the silver paint, or the aluminum itself.. Are they a decal? Are they painted? Sure looks like a masking tape nightmare if not a decal!

Also looking for advice on location of the upper speed nut/lock clip on the top side of the float; ie. the float travel between clips, if any.

Is anyone aware of the availability of a service manual for this motor?

Thanks,

KYle

Kyle Anderson
                Trempeleau, WI
                skanders@triwest.net
                920-764-0501

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

if the letters are raised just hand sand with 220 wet-dry sand paper. sand front to rear. just my thoughts that is what I did years ago.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

On the raised letter Sportwin tank, I painted the whole thing and then block sanded the paint off the letters with 440 grit wet or dry paper working to 1600 grit and finishing with jewelers rouge polishe. . . 😀

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Great idea from Mumbles with the "coil screw" alignment pins for cementing the tank halves. I hope to remember that trick. The anaerobic sealant is somewhat unforgiving if the halves get put together misaligned. I found out the hard way. 😯

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.