Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4423 ignition

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chacha53
    Participant

I have a 1951 Evunrude Sportwin 4423. No spark. One coil tested bad. Does anyone have any experience replacing the coils on these motors? Any advice will be appreciated.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
        chacha53
        Participant

Good info.
          My original coils have 3 wires plus the plug wire. It looks like two wires are ground wires. I have replacement coils, but they only have two wires plus the plug wire. I wonder if they will work?
          Thank you.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

did not have inf on the 4423 must be before the regular omc magneto I am use to work on …

this any good … they look similar ?? maybe you can swap the coils as in the example below

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/coils.htm

http://oddjobmotors.com/tt1_replacewico_coil.htm

others will chime in regarding possible repairs or substitution of coil windings

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
            Participant

The three wire coils were used in early magnetos and I believe they were referred to as ‘Flyback’ ignitions. Either the two or three wire coils will work in your mag. A feeler gauge is needed to properly set the gaps between the coils heels and the magnet.

Attachments:

chacha53
              Participant

Thank you Mumbles!

chacha53
                Participant

OK. I replaced the coils, they tested fine with the multimeter but only a tiny spark on lower cylinder wire and no spark on upper wire when I spun the flywheel. I cleaned and gapped the points, tested with multimeter, and put it all back together. Spun the flywheel and no change in spark. I took the coils off the shoes, cleaned the shoes where the coils make contact, tested the magnet for strength (its fine), set the gap between shoes and magnet, put it all back together, retested everything with the multimeter just to be sure, spun it but no change in spark.
                  I don’t have a meter for testing the condensers. Maybe they are the problem? They are 67 years old!
                  Any suggestions? What is a good source for replacement coils?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

condensers basically protect the points from arcing… ( theories on electrical oscillations aside)

try without them for a quick test …if ok then they are likely bad

try new ones before changing coils that test good..

jmho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
                    Participant

The original 300153 condensers (capacitors) for your motor were rated at .2 uF (.16-.24) but will be next to impossible to find new in good condition. A common 580321 cap shown in the photo, has the same rating but the mounting tab on it is different and might cause problems. The easiest thing to do is replace the old caps with new Vishay axial capacitors. They come in different ratings for different applications. Digi-Key is my source for them.

You can change your country by clicking in the top right corner.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?ven … =bc2609-nd

Attachments:

chacha53
                      Participant

Great info!
                        Thanks guys!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.