Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4423 info needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I picked up what may be one of my next restoration projects (I’ve already got paint left over from doing a 4425) yesterday at a meet. It’s an Evinrude Model 4423, s/n 71248 with a 0 following that isn’t in line with the rest of the stamped characters. It’s in remarkably nice condition; good compression, 100% complete right down to the screwdriver in the tiller handle and the plug wrench, spare shear pins, and spare cotter pin under the rh cowl. Does anyone have a s/n breakdown by year?

Thanks for any info!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Old Outboard book sez 1949

twostroke
        Participant

Thanks, Frank!

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

This is what I have . . . 😎

twostroke
            Participant

Fantastic! Thanks Garry! Question….I just got done checking coils & condensers w/Mercotronic…all’s well there….so it’s on to clean out nasty fuel system and see if I can get it to make smoke. The ‘gas-gauge’ sight tube on the front of the fuel tank kinda’ looks like it was originally painted blue except for the raised parts. Was that in fact, the way it was?

I assume that trying to find one that’s not discolored is kinda’ like looking for my baby teeth after 60 years…

Jim

Mumbles
              Participant

Say Jim, would you be able to post a photo of the plug wrench and how it’s mounted? Mine is missing and am curious to see what it looked like. Thanks!

Don’t forget, the gearcase uses gear oil and not grease as it has seals on both shafts and a ball bearing right above the pinion gear. You can use SKF 4770 and 5523 seals if it drips or gets water inside. Another issue can be the small primer cup on the carb. I still haven’t figured out a replacement for that one yet.

twostroke
                Participant

Will do. Right now, it’s outside draining out extremely foul gasoline. If this pic is too crummy, I’ll post a couple pics later this afternoon. It’s really sunny here (Yeah!!) and glare is wrecking pics.

Gotta’ little bakelite half-moon gornick at the bottom with spare shear pins & cotter pin holding the wrench on the powerhead. Wrench (black) is just a stamped steel 13/16 open end…with the open end at the top as mounted.

Note: A "gornick" is a universal term for just about anything you don’t know the name of…. See? Everyone will learn something….

Jim

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

That shear pin holder is really rubber – hardened with age . . . 😎
                    Check out "Motor Wrench" on page 5 of the parts book.

skanders01
                    Participant

If you will allow me to switch to the cooling stem while you fellers are discussing 4423’s, I have s new to me little Sportwinn 768760 which I am troubleshooting a water flow problem(no water discharge!) With. Impellers show no obvious wear or damage. Plates look ok as does everything at the bottom end of things except the shaft seal which is dinged up (and water and oil definitely in the gearcase. Moving up the path to the powerhead. My current issue is what is the path beyond/up the Welch plug? Through the middle tower to the tiny hole in one of the four plugs in the steering (?) Shaft ?

If anyone can help, thanks is advance. Otherwise, I will track down some help if I can get up to Tomohawk.

Kyle Anderson
                      Trempeleau, WI
                      skanders@triwest.net
                      920-764-0501

Justin Everson
                      Participant

Will do. Right now, it’s outside draining out extremely foul gasoline. If this pic is too crummy, I’ll post a couple pics later this afternoon. It’s really sunny here (Yeah!!) and glare is wrecking pics.

Gotta’ little bakelite half-moon gornick at the bottom with spare shear pins & cotter pin holding the wrench on the powerhead. Wrench (black) is just a stamped steel 13/16 open end…with the open end at the top as mounted.

Note: A "gornick" is a universal term for just about anything you don’t know the name of…. See? Everyone will learn something….

Jim

Attachments:

Where is the tool in this picture?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.