Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude fleetwin propeller help needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    oldbeagle
    Participant

US Member

I’m working on a 7518 fleetwin basketcase and replaced the lower unit which was damaged with another one that was supposedly from a similar motor. I got everything swapped over but now I noticed the propeller won’t fit the swapped out unit. It’s about 1/8 inch away from lining up the holes for the shear pin. I noticed that the gearcase where the propeller shaft comes out seems to be shaped differently between the two units I’m working with and am wondering if that is the reason why it won’t fit or should most props from a 5.5-7.5 around this year model fit anyway?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

?I’ve seen the same problem before. Yes the nose on the gearcase is the culprit. In my case I was able to grind away some webbing from inside the prop. Or of course you could just slip on a nwrer prop

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I think there was some sort of change in the prop/gearcase design in 1956, wish I knew exactly what those changes are…

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

They added a "Fishline cutter" to the space between the prop and the rear bearing & seal retainer. None of those devices has been very effective against the super strong fish line used today. I have a spool of fine thread I used to repare the leather apollstery on dad’s recliner. It is rated 100 pounds test and I had to sharpen my scissors in order to cut it. . . 😆

oldbeagle
            Participant

US Member
              quote FrankR:

?I’ve seen the same problem before. Yes the nose on the gearcase is the culprit. In my case I was able to grind away some webbing from inside the prop. Or of course you could just slip on a nwrer prop

I did a little grinding with my Dremel as suggested and it fits perfect. Now just need a weekend for a checkride.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.