Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightwin 3hp Water Pump

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mike-stroz
    Participant

I was running my Lightwin today, serial number 3026 06362 for the first time on my boat, and the rpm’s dropped suddenly. After running running for about 30 more seconds until I realised it was overheating, I shut it off. I now have two questions: 1. would any major damage be sustained when it was running those 30 seconds when the rpm dropped? 2. I know I need to replace the water pump (I was led to believe the previous owner did when he actually didn’t) so what water pump kit should I buy and from where? From what I can tell, the engine is absolutely original down to the last screw, so it has the same lower unit it left the factory with and it hasn’t been changed.

Mumbles
      Participant

Unfortunately, only a complete teardown will let you know if the pistons got damaged from the overheat situation. Doing a visual thru the exhaust ports only lets you see a small part of the piston and any damage could be hidden. Hopefully it was running on the recommended 24/1 or 16/1 fuel-oil mix and not the more common 50/1 mix when the overheat happened.

Your friendly OMC/BRP dealer will have the correct 379770 water pump kit (including the housing) or 379763 impeller kit for your ’58 Lightwin. They are also available from other sources.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-Repa … 92?vxp=mtr

mike-stroz
        Participant

Thanks, that really helps a lot. I was running it on a 16 to 1 mix as specified on the decal when it started overheating

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

pull the head and inspect it . will give you at least a better idea of condition.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.