Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude N

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    putzer
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I recently picked up a Evinrude N, #5692. I read with interest the threads from about a month ago on this model. I am still confused on how the reverse is supposed to work. Having exhausted my usual sources for manuals, can anyone direct me to someplace I can get a manual (parts/operating/service) on this motor? Looks like a cool motor. It will now spark and pop, but not quite fire. Before I tear into the engine, I would like to have my hands on a reference book. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Disconnect the water lines, and separate the crankcase from the tower housing. It will be obvious how the reverse works when you do that. Get back to us after you see it, I can probably help you adjust the whole thing.

Tom

putzer
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I will take it apart this weekend, let you know when I do. THANKS

Dan

putzer
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I separated the head from the lower unit and now have a better understanding of how it works. There is an adjustment bolt on the front of the housing, I imagine to control the height of the tube when in the forward position. What would be the correct height of the tube in relation to the housing be?

Attachments:

Tom
            Participant

US Member

That’s two bolts, one from the top, one from the bottom. IIRC, when the bar sticking out of the tiller is locked in the C shaped recess, the top of the torque tube should be even with the top of the tower housing. When you remove those two bolts to adjust things, there may be more setscrews in the bottoms of the bores. If you remove the casting in the photo from the tower housing, it’ll be obvious how the adjusting screws work.

You’re getting there…

Tom

putzer
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Will try to adjust this week, thanks for your help.

Dan

Tom
                Participant

US Member

Let me know if you run into any trouble, I’ve got lots of parts. The manuals just show individual parts, not their relative orientation. I could send you one, but it would not be very useful for you at this point.

Basically, there should be a button in the end of the tiller. You press in the button and raise the tiller out of its locked position. This lowers the foot and leg, and drops the bottom tang at the top of the torque tube away from the spring loaded pawl on the bottom of the crankcase. When the motor is running, propeller torque spins the lower unit around, as long as that big hex nut isn’t too tight, and the gland or rotating surfaces haven’t corroded.
                  In reverse, the top tang, the one in the photo, engages the pawl.

When you press the button in and lower the tiller, the lower unit should lock into forward using the bottom tang and the pawl on the case. If that catch ("pawl") is rusted or stuck, it won’t work.

Tom

putzer
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

With your help, the N now rotates properly. Thanks you very much.

Dan

Tom
                    Participant

US Member

Putzer,

Great news!

You want to get that big gland nut tight enough so it doesn’t leak a lot of water, and loose enough that the lower unit spins with propeller torque. The pumps are pretty efficient, so err on the side of turning easily.

Be sure the cotter pins that hold the wrist pins in place are in good shape.

Good luck, keep us posted on progress.

Tom

putzer
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Will do. Having learned about the reverse, and having got it started and running (pumping water well), started taking it apart again for the balance of the cleaning and sprucing up, when calamity befell the motor. I carelessly knocked the carb off the work bench and cracked the housing for the bowl where the supply fitting threads in. One of my local friends has one he will let me have, so here we go again.

Thanks again for the insight and will let you know when it is all done.

Keep the prop spinning,

Dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.