Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude speedifour coils #7031

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oldboatmotors
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wondering if I have any options as far as replacing these coils. Or are they repairable? The spark plug wires fell off one and the smaller wires are brittle.

Attachments:

david-bartlett
      Participant

Gus,

Welcome! That coil doesn’t look good. Lots of folks have substituted other coils on lots of motors.

Here is one thread, others will likely follow. Not exactly what you want, but the same ideas apply.
        viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17342

oldboatmotors
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, David. I’m considering trying different coil types. I’ve been searching here and not really finding info on doing it.

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Before condemning the coil have you measured the secondary resistance?

eltoquad
            Participant

US Member

Wires are not that hard to replace if the coil itself is good. Did you test them?

The Boat House
              Participant

/a>

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                oldboatmotors
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The coil did test ok prior to my trying to solder the plug wires on. It quickly went down hill from there. Now I’m looking for another coil.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.