Home Forum Ask A Member Faceplate, Elgin (West Bend) 30

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m working on a 1957 Elgin 30 hp. The faceplate is/was badly corroded.

I sandblasted it and found the side edges that are supposed to be left bare metal are pitted.

What to do? Is there a product I can use to fill it and then sand smooth? Or, will the filler stand out and bother me more than the pitting does?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

J-B weld will work good a lot of sanding will produce smooth surface and not be seen. all in the work like body shop work.

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

David, first give the part a good shot of brake cleaner to get the dust from the bead blasting off. I would then shoot with some acid etch primer. Next I would use some 3M Bondo, and follow up with their red glazing pinhole putty. Hit any bare medal spots (from sanding) again with the acid etch primer. If it still is not perfectly smooth, I would then spray a layer of sandable filler primer and sand again. Start off with a 400 grit and go up to 800, then topcoat.
          It should look better than the factory finish.
          Only bad thing is that you complete all of these steps, its probably going to look better than the rest of the engine!

auldscott
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used JB Weld to fill pits in aluminum that will be left unpainted. The dark gray color is going to be noticeable, especially if you polish or satin finish the surface. My guess is that you won’t be happy with it. Under paint, use JB Weld for sure, although there are other good products.

I have not used any of the aluminum-filled epoxy materials that would have a closer match to the original metal; perhaps one of the members has.

Let us know what you discover.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

it was painted originally.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The sides of this front plate were not painted originally. I am worried about the risk of color variation. Maybe I can experiment on the back of the plate?

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

paint the sides dull aluminum that is a good match.

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote :

paint the sides dull aluminum that is a good match.

I may need to go that route. Or just live with the pitting. It’s not going to be in a museum or anything. If I get it too pretty I’ll have to get the carb adjustment cover (the panel that says "30") rechromed. I’ll probably just repaint the painted parts and move on. I do appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

sounds like a plan. paint the dull aluminum. paint the chrome black would look good. flat or gloss.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.