Home Forum Ask A Member FD-19 Johnson hard starting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

Seems to start ok at first but has to be primed after it has run for awhile. Good compression and spark. Could I be having a top crank seal issue and is that hard to replace?

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Hard starting, how was the timing set? has that been gone thru?
        The seal is easy to remove with the seal puller, a bit more challenging without one… and I make them…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

ronboonville
        Participant

Ok Richard, must admit I didn’t do the regular drill. I just pulled the flywheel and found dirty and poorly set points. Now I’ve got the carb off and taking it apart to clean. Plugs were fouled so that too. So I’ll let you know how it turns out.

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

If you work on more than one, or have more than one OMC from between 5 hp and 20 hp, the timing tool will pay for itself it setting the timing right the first time, every time… It removes ALL doubt about firing at the right time AND firing 180 degrees apart.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

The tool is awesome! It let’s you set "when" (which is obviously what "timing" is all about), while letting you completely ignore "gap".

I’ve never had a vintage engine run so well….the timing tool is well worth it.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So, the engine starts OK cold, correct? The engine is hard to start after running it, letting it sit for a bit, then restarting, do I have it right?
                "….It has to be primed…" Do you mean you have to push the primer button on the tank? I am assuming the engine still uses the pressure tank/two line set up. There should be plenty of residual pressure in the tank from running it to keep the carb full of fuel unless there is a delivery problem. And, if there was a fuel delivery problem, I would think there would be running issues. You could always try loosening the cap before restarting hot to see if the tank still is pressurized.
                I’m just guessing, but am thinking that the priming really isn’t helping it to start when hot. Vapor lock is not real uncommon today’s fuels, especially in warmer weather. Is the fuel fresh? Using old fuel/oil mix, or a winter blended fuel might be causing a hot start issue….
                It is not uncommon to have to use the choke when restarting a hot engine. Once you have verified that the tank is not losing pressure, I would just try using the choke to restart the warm engine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.