Home Forum Ask A Member FDE 11 Piston me Off

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    effenaco
    Participant

My FDE 11 needs a new piston so I decided to replace the set. Original part number was 376992. It has been superseded by 385338. I ordered a set of these and when I got them they are 2 ring pistons, not three ring pistons which are currently in the motor. Does anyone know if this is a correct replacement and will there be any issues if it is OK to convert? OK experts, weigh in and let me know. Thanks

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Unless the picture is wrong ?
        http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … OMC0385338

In any event, that’s what my ’75 Johnson parts book calls for for your FD-11.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

They went to two-ring pistons a long time ago. No problem. Actually, pressure back rings came later on.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Deleted duplicate post

effenaco
            Participant

I bought the replacements from Marinengine.com based on that picture, but what arrived were two ring pistons. Then I bought another on ebay and same thing, two rings.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

My ’69 parts book lists this piston for your FD-11 (383476)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAN-1969-197 … SwIGJaN-pY

effenaco
                Participant

Yes looked at that one as well. Still two ring even though pictures everywhere show it as a three ring. Again my question is, will there be any problems or other modifications needed to swap the three ring pistons for two ring?

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

No problems at all. As long as the pistons are properly fitted, two ring pistons are thought to be fractional more efficient (Less drag) than three ring pistons. They are favored in racing motors. Also, adding rings does little to help a poorly fitted piston. . . 😎

effenaco
                    Participant

Garry,

Thanks. I just wanted confirmation from an expert. Hope all is well.

Barry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.