Home Forum Ask A Member finding parts for 1983 canadian mercury 18hp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    moebeeza
    Participant

Mercury 18 H.P. serial #7201857
      Tomos Sportsman 9.9
      I bought a 14′ monarch 3 years ago and it came with an 18hp mercury and a 9.9hp tomos and a few electric trolling motors.
      I bought it so I could fish the channel on the delaware river. I took it out to beltzvillle lake/dam with the mercury to test on flat water first and had an enjoyable day but towards the end of the day the motor stalled and wouldn’t restart.
      This spring I brought it to my (auto)mechanic and he cleaned up the carb and got it running. I put it on a different lake and got about 15 minutes out of it lol. It had no balls and kept stalling. I switched to the trolling motor to bring her back to land.
      Unfortunately it seized.
      I contacted mercury and they told me they no longer stock any parts for it, that they were obsoleted over a decade ago. They also told me to look up your organization for help finding parts. I am looking for a powerhead and impeller parts or parts necessary to rebuild this powerhead if I can get it unseized. So far every marine shop that I have contacted told me that it’s not worth fixing. I also know that kelley blue book gives it about a $2500. value for good condition running. A new 25 hp jetdrive outboard is about $6000.
      I have rebuilt a few antique motorcycle engines in my younger days and feel confident that I could rebuild this if I can locate the parts.
      Mercury was kind enough to inform me that they still sell the service manual LOL. I told them without the parts the manual is useless.
      I am also looking for help and info regarding the electric starter. I remember it working when I put it out on beltzville but mechanic told me starter wasn’t working and all I hear is the selenoid click/pop when key is turned.
      I am also looking for information and parts availability and literature/parts/service manuals for the Tomos. So far I have found that Tomos was/is an Eastern European brand who manufactured mopeds mainly, but also outboards. These outboards were distributed thru Nissan in this country in the early 1990’s. I have been able to cross reference spark plugs and found an ngk equivalent for the Russian plugs that came in it. This motor appears to be in Excellent shape, but I don’t want to blow it up like I did with the Mercury lol.
      Any help, advice, and or info about these motors is greatly appreciated
      Thank you all
      Jim

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Jim,

Look here:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercu … 207857-can

That appears to be your motor…Impeller is available and it is new enough, that should give you access to all the parts you might need

Regards

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

al-lockhart
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Far be it for me to argue with the blue book value of a 32 year old motor at $2500.00 but I just searched my local want ads and for that money you can get the 18hp motor a 14′ boat and a trailer! Several 18hp Mercs are listed at between $650 and $900.00 in good running order. Personally I wouldn’t spend $1.00 trying to fix that motor as it is just way more economical to replace it. If you want a bullet proof motor look for a 1960 and up OMC 18hp-25hp that uses the 22ci block and unlike Mercury you can still get most parts for them

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

I concur – those prices are way out of whack for motor that old. Even their new ones are on the high side. MSRP for a 25hp jet is 5700, and you can get one for less than $5000 from various sources…

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I own a 1958 Johnson electric start full gear shift motor. It cost me $200.00 because it was missing. New top crankshaft seal & clean up the mag & fix the points & it runs great. Oh, ended up resealing the gearcase with spaghetti & seals & no more water. The older OMC 18 to 20 hp motors run very well if not abused to the point of compression loss. I could pull a light skiier if I run my Evinrude 15 prop. In my thoughts nothing like a 50’s OMC for very well build non plastic reliable motor. Quite easy to perform service too. Mercury’s are fun too but are harder to work on. My last build, 1951 Merc 6 hp has been a challange for sure!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.