Home Forum Ask A Member Fix for spun hub?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jim-moffatt
    Participant

US Member

I have an Elgin 12 hp prop with a spun fubber hub. I have heard of regluing it. Does anyone have any experience with repairs that work? Could a prop shop fix it?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The normal prop shop repair is to replace the hub. But that means they need a new hub to put in it. Unlikely that they have one.

A last resort fix is to fabricate a solid hub and locktite it in there permanently. Of course that defeats the purpose of a cushioned hub.

squierka39
        Participant

US Member

I have used JB weld epoxy to glue the hub on an Evinrude 15hp. That was more than 10 years ago and it’s still holding.

amuller
          Participant

Does anyone know that the dimensions are supposed to be for rubber hubs? How much of an interference fit? How hard the rubber is supposed to be? Etc…

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can pin it from either side with roll pins.

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

Start with taking it to a prop shop. Worst they can say is they can’t fix it. Heading into the offseason, they may want the challenge as their business slows down.

eviltwin
                Participant

I wonder if 3M 5200 would work. Or Window Urethane. The urethane is tough stuff.

reivertom
                  Participant

US Member

I saw some liquid rubber advertised on TV the other day and wondered if it could be used for spun hubs. The commercial is cheezy but It looks like it cures really tough but pliable.

Randy in Tampa
                    Participant

Hmmmm,time to experiment,great idea Tom …might work on other applications 😉

quote reivertom:

I saw some liquid rubber advertised on TV the other day and wondered if it could be used for spun hubs. The commercial is cheezy but It looks like it cures really tough but pliable.
                      fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A somewhat different application, but I have used castable urethane to create a new hub on a prop for a motor once. It worked well and the person I sold the motor to is still using it all summer for the second year now. It was one of those oddball 5hp Johnsons with the 6hp powerhead and the 4hp exhaust leg and lower unit. It had a ribbed / splined hub so a but different, but I’m thinking of trying it for a 10hp OMC prop to see how it works. Not a super cheap solution though.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.