Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel Magnetizing

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

Do you have one of these things? Kinda on the "cheap & dirty" side of tools, but they work….

If the spark jumps a 1/4" gap, the magnets are fine.

simoner1
      Participant
        quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

Do you have one of these things? Kinda on the “cheap & dirty” side of tools, but they work….

If the spark jumps a 1/4″ gap, the magnets are fine.

I have one. Never set it to 1/4" gap I can give it a try.

olcah
        Participant

US Member

My 2 cents – I find that it helps if for every few sparks you lightly file the points on the tester where the spark jumps. It probably lowers the resistance and some coils will not jump long distance without doing that. Also be sure the tester has a good ground connection to the motor. I think that especially for a smaller motor a spark jump of 1/8" will work fine. Interestingly the Johnson service manual to 1964 says that there should be a strong spark when a plug wire is held 1/8 inch away from the block. 🙂

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

My guess is that your magnets are probably fine. Those motors (Elto Ace, Scout, Pal,etc) have a very reliable magneto, right down to the condenser. But don’t discount the benefits of recharging the magnets on many of the older pre WW2 motors. I have a Lockwood Ace that I could never get a very good spark on… a quick zap on the Stevens charger fixed the problem! it now produces a good blue, healthy spark. I also had this done to a PR40 Johnson, and an Evinrude row boat motor with a magneto ignition… same problem, same results on all 3 motors.
            It made a believer out of me!

chris-p
            Participant

If the flywheel has been left off the motor without a keeper the magnets can weaken as well.

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

Chris,

Can you explain that some more? I’m not sure what a keeper is, or what difference being on-or-off the engine would make….

Thank you,

dockbuster1
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I have had a Stevens recharger for 25 years My electrical friend replaced the plate rectifiers with solid state diodes which gave stronger magnatism but all the times I have used it it has made no difference on any 20’s or later engines I have worked on typically it has been synchronizing magnetic flux and point opening witch has made the difference assuming coil was good condeser was the right capacitance and did not leak and the points were very low resistance

Mumbles
                  Participant

A ‘keeper’ is just a bar of iron or steel placed across the magnets poles to help the magnet retain its power when not being used. Small horseshoe magnets from the hardware store usually have a keeper on them. On several NOS flywheels I picked up from an old dealers stash, a bolt had been used as a keeper.

The weaker the magnetic field is, the weaker the spark will be. One Johnson 300 I have would not run well until the flywheel magnets were recharged. Now it starts and runs like new.

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                      quote Simoner1:

Would like to know where folks get their flywheels remagnetized? I live in New York in the Saratoga Springs area but do not have issues shipping flywheels if necessary.
                      Thank you..

I’m also more than willing to ship off a couple of flywheels and pay for someone to re-magnetize them.Any recommendations or contacts?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.