Home Forum Ask A Member Fogging Oil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

I am unfamiliar with "Fogging Oil". I see it mentioned occasionally but know nothing about it. What is it and where can I find it? Is there a particular brand name? I have never fogged a motor before storage and don’t know what could happen if I didn’t.

kerry
      Participant

US Member

Fogging oil is a lubricant for engines that will be stored for an extended period of time. Comes in an aerosol can and is sprayed into the carb while turning the engine over. Coats the internals. Walmart, West Marine, marinas, etc. sell it. I get StaBil fogging oil at a nearby Cabelas for about $7 a can. I’ve seen other brands for up to $18 a can. Hope this helps.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

baron0418
        Participant

US Member

You can also substitute whatever 2 cycle oil you are using. a cap full in each cylinder and and maybe two or three cap fills down the carb and give the motor a few spins. Really if the motor is 1/2 pint to a gallon or more they don’t really need fogging. Plenty of oil in the motor with that fuel oil ratio. unless of course you are storing the motor outside.

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

I have used Mercury Storage Seal for the last 45 years with good results.

chris-p
            Participant
              quote Baron0418:

You can also substitute whatever 2 cycle oil you are using. a cap full in each cylinder and and maybe two or three cap fills down the carb and give the motor a few spins. Really if the motor is 1/2 pint to a gallon or more they don’t really need fogging. Plenty of oil in the motor with that fuel oil ratio. unless of course you are storing the motor outside.

Sorry but not really true. fogging oil is designed to last and cling during storage, 2 stroke oil is designed to be burnt. They are much different.

johnyrude200
              Participant

A lot of questions tonight about fogging and winterization. 2-stroke oil certainly doesn’t hurt but I agree with Chris_P.

I’ve picked up plenty of motors that have sat for years and are dry locked, or completely rusted out internally. Where’d the 2-stroke oil go? Well…it slowly followed gravity out of the motor.

Keep in mind gas evaporates and the oil mixed in with it will be diluted as well. Take some fuel mix and place it on a piece of plastic, then leave it out in the sun for a few days and see what is left.

Do the same with fogging oil on a piece of plastic right next to it then compare.

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

Try a can of Quicksilver Storage Seal.. you will like it. It foams up like shaving cream. My #2 favorite is CRC fogging oil, also good stuff but a little thinner.

ryanjames170
                  Participant

what do you guys think of the satble branded stuff

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use the Sta-Bil brand fogging oil and have had good results so far with it. I run the motor in a test tank and get it up to temperature, pull the fuel line off and I start fogging it after maybe half of the fuel is run out of the carb. I start gradually and when the fuel is about to run out I fog it until it chokes the motor out, hang it and let the water drain out of the lower end. For end of season, I then drain the lower unit and refill with fresh oil for storage. If I find water, I usually pressure check before refilling and note that it needs to be resealed. I do keep oil in them for storage to prevent rust.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

baron0418
                      Participant

US Member

Much different or not 2cycle oil works great. Thirty plus years and no problems tells me I am right. waste your money where you want

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.