Home Forum Ask A Member Friend asked for help…so, I am asking y’all Evinrude 50373R

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

A friend from church has a 50 hp Evinrude 50373R and the carbs are missing. He thinks they were removed to be cleaned and then disappeared. I said I would ask around for him and see what I could find out.

I see these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-Johnso … ga&vxp=mtr

The ad claims that the carbs are off a 78 model 50hp but I don’t see a 50 hp made that year.

The diagrams are very similar for the 78 55hp and the 73 50 HP carbs though. Will these work?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

1978 50hp motors were rope start. I don’t have a clue about the carbs.

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

1978 50hp motors were rope start. I don’t have a clue about the carbs.

Rope start a 50 hp .No Problem

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

heres the carbs listed for the 1973 50 hp

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

bullie
            Participant

Rope start. Well, that sounds like vigorous fun.

I was comparing the carbs from the 73 and 78 and they seem very similar on the parts breakdown page on ME. Hoping someone would know if they will swap out. $80 for a pair sounds a lot better than $194 each.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 78 carbs are probably from a 55hp two cylinder, so they may not be compatible with the 73 50hp, the powerhead design was changed slightly in 1976 bumping the hp up to 55.
                I would look for carbs from a 1971-1975 OMC 50hp long shaft model. You are going to need many other bits/pieces besides just the carbs, so I would look for a junk engine of that vintage that will easily supply all the needed parts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.