Home Forum Ask A Member Gale made 3 hp motors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hornet
    Participant

Did gale make an equivalent motor to the 3 hp 52-67 evinrude and Johnson 3hp Lightwins? Thanks

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

I think they only made a twin 5hp and a one cylinder 2.5hp. I have two of the singles. One is a ’48 model and one is a ’56 model. I don’t think I’ve seen a 3hp Gale, but there’s a lot I don’t know.

phil-b
        Participant

The Gale 2.5hp single was made 1940-1942. After the war they made a 3hp single 1945-1963. FrankR has a collection of them in just about every color they came in….

(looks like Sea King may have sold a 3hp single pre-war!)

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Gale made a 3HP but it was a single cylinder and bore little to no resemblence to the Johnson JW series and it’s Evinrude equivalent……

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member

Seems to me somebody posted a Gale-badged Lightwin from overseas ? Looked like maybe early ’60s ?

rapier
              Participant

Gale made a 3hp identical to the Johnson 3hp in europe, until 1962, some stock was still available until 1965. They were painted black and cream or orange and cream depending on the year. Here’s a video of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxy9uHLWd-A

frankr
                Participant

US Member

The European Gale Buccaneer posted by one of our overseas members, and my collection of all Gale Buccaneer 3hp motors from 1956 through 1963

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

And not to ignore our Canadian friend’s versions the Viking and Elto

Mumbles
                    Participant

Here’s some photos of an Eatons Viking and a Buccaneer, as found.

Attachments:

Steve D
                      Participant

I’ve always heard about those Gay Buccaneers but always thought it was just a myth.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.