Home Forum Ask A Member Gluvit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

I’m considering buying an old lone star aluminum boat. If the rivets leak I’m thinking about sealing seams with gluvit. Should I do this inside and out? I know it’s not outboard related, but I always get good advice here. Thanks

melugin
      Participant

US Member

I’ve had good luck with 3M5200 sealing loose rivets. However I’ve found some of the most deteriorated rivets on Lone Star boats. That has only been on 3 out of the 4 Lone star boats I’ve owned.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

replace the rivets before sealing them it will be stronger I also used 5200.

chuckw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used Gluvit and it did not help very much in terms of leaks.

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve had good success with Capt.Tolleys sealer.Fixed a lot of leaky boats over the years.If it doesn’t work,it doesn’t interfere with other fixes you might try.

rapier
              Participant

The 1959 on Lone Stars flex quite a bit, at least mine did, it didn’t leak though. On my Duratech 13S copy, I replace the corroded / loose rivets with sealed pop versions, with a dab of Duralac in each cleaned-up hole before riveting. This will set over time.

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ve had good success with Gluvit. Its not UV resistant so it needs a top coat if exposed to sunlight.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

jim-moffatt
                  Participant

US Member

The simplest solution is to reset the rivets with a hammer and a bucking iron. It helps to have 2 people. I had about 10 rivets that leaked on my sea-nymph gamefisher. After I reset them there are no leaks.

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sometimes it’s more than just rivets that leak. Often the sealant between the seams dries out and fails. Products like Guvit and West System G-Flex are designed to help seal seams and rivets on flexible aluminium boats.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

vintin
                      Participant

Before bucking a new rivet a drop of 5200 in the hole may be a good idea. I’ve seen folks post that ‘super glue’ may stop a leaking rivet. There is a thicker version of super glue available.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.