Home Forum Ask A Member Goodyear seabee motor. Purchase?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

So I found a Goodyear seabee for about 50.00 but it is missing one side of the decor on the side. The seller is unsure of the year but I’m also thinking if I’d ever be able to find the missing piece.

Anyone identify the year range of this motor?
      Thoughts?

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I’d call it 1948-50 –ish.

No model number?

john8504
        Participant

He said he was unsure of model number

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

There are always places to get parts. You could start with a "wanted" ad on our classified board – ad is free and you don’t have to be a club member. If that doesn’t work, there is always http://www.twincityoutboard.com. They are an outboard junkyard that has over 10,000 motors from 1906 on up. They are just south of Minneapolis, but will ship anywhere, but not the cheapest place in the world. Those SeaBees were made by Scott Atwater and most parts interchange. Motors like that are pretty common and you can probably find a parts motor cheap on Craigslist, ebay or other online place. Careful on putting to many $$ into it – these aren’t worth much fully restored, but you can’t put a price on the fun of breathing new life into it. It was common on motors like that to throw away the lower cowl to allow faster access to the spark plugs.
            Dave

john8504
            Participant

That is what I figured. I didn’t think it is worth too much. The cowl replacement is close to 50.00 so there is 100.00 for a motor probably worth 100-150.00 and i still have to see if I can get it running.

joesnuffy
              Participant

I like Scott Atwaters so if this is one of theirs it makes for a good project. You don’t have a lot in it so I would use it for a learning tool and see if you can’t get it to go and have some fun doing it.

Joe

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

I thought that Goodyear Sea Bee was a Gale (OMC) product? Sea Kings were built by a couple of different makers?
                  FrankR has it about right ’48-’50? Numbers should be between clamp screws.

Dan in TN

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Three horse ? ? ? 😎

joesnuffy
                    Participant

OMC is even better should make for getting parts easier. I thought the foot on it looked a lot like one of my Zephyr motors and a Sportsman I have from that area.

Joe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.