Home Forum Ask A Member Harley Davidson Evinrude?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cheetahgod
    Participant

Has anyone heard about these?
      Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/122618126049

chris-p
      Participant

Not real…..just something someone made up as they were likely a motorcycle enthusiast! Neat though.

cheetahgod
        Participant

I remember reading something about Harley Davidson outboards. Maybe in the old outboard book.

b-morrison
          Participant

Canada Member

says Elto pal…… with genuine Harley emblems …can be removed to make original

Indian Group Leader
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I contacted the seller on eBay and picked on him about the Harley emblems. He admitted that he was just doing a custom restoration for his own enjoyment.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen evidence of Harley Davidson getting into the outboard motor business. Most people confuse Indian Motocycle Company’s ill conceived attempt at entering the outboard motor field as being related to Harley. From what I have learned, most Indian supporters did not care a lot about the Harley motorcycle supporters. I am betting that Harley Davidson was very pleased that they did not move into the same direction that Indian did, especially considering the blemish to Indian engineer’s reputations. After manufacturing only 1,500 outboards from about February to August of 1930, Indian scrapped their outboard production and returned to the business that made them famous, mainly well engineered motorcycles.

kerry
              Participant

US Member
                quote Cheetahgod:

I remember reading something about Harley Davidson outboards. Maybe in the old outboard book.

Third edition, p. 177. Says they may have "made a few experimental machines and extremely limited production". I think someone asked if any were ever seen on the old boards, but no responses that I can recall.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Mumbles
                Participant

In the early days, Arthur Davidson as a teen worked for Ole Evinrude so they did have a bit of a connection.

Here’s some good ol boys living the dream with their Harley powered boats! Crank up the volume! 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rd2d3PQSiA

Attachments:

chris-p
                  Participant

Mumbles, now that looks like fun!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.