Home Forum Ask A Member Having difficulty searching for info on my particular motor (9.5 Johnson)

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my 9622a is also a bit hard to start but I just give it a shot of carb cleaner, it starts and purrs and runs all day not bad for a $50 seized boat anchor

sorry for posting my favorite picture !

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Exhaust leaks would have nothing to do with hard starting (there is no exhaust till it is running). I wouldn’t advise going to all that work to look at the shift rod boot unless you have good reason to suspect it. The indication for that would be smothering with the hood on but running OK with it off—on a boat, on the lake. Shucking that thing out of the shell is a major job.

I’d highly suspect the coils, if you haven’t looked at them yet. They are well known to crack with age. Not limited to the 9.5hp, but all OMCs of the era.

Mumbles
        Participant

As mentioned, they can get a bit crusty under the flywheel and require a good cleaning.

Attachments:

Jim May
          Participant

Wowser! Well mine doesn’t look as bad as the first picture – but it doesn’t look as good as the 2nd picture.

Today I ran another test after tweaking the low speed jet – I reseated it and backed out a single turn and when I tried starting it (cover off) it cranked on the first pull. I plan to take it for a run at the lake tomorrow to see what happens. Fingers crossed.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

DSC0048 picture… how does one reach that zert nipple to grease the shifter….there is no room to fit a grease grease gun between it and the motor frame

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
              Participant

Probably with one of these OMC push type grease guns which screwed onto the grease tube. I’m sure I’ve seen similar ones somewhere with the small tip on them.

Attachments:

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.