Home Forum Ask A Member HD 25 Carb percolting

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Wasn’t there something in the manual about the early HD carbs
      percolating, and the remedy was to put a wire / rod in
      the one passage to restrict flow?

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Johnson suggests adding a pin to this passage . . . 😕

shane-r13
        Participant

So i got a new impellor for my HD25 and there is a visible size difference between old and new. Doesn’t help. Still can hear fuel bubbling in carb when i place my ear next to it. Only runs for a but then dies. Water is coming out of the misting ports but whos to say its enough. I’m going to assume its not because i can hear the fuel boiling. I’ve blown out the passages with air and it comes in and out of passages fine. Whats my next step? tear down of bottom end and then remove head as well? I’m at a lose on this little farter.

chacha53
          Participant

A new one is on the way. Thanks!

chacha53
            Participant

Well, I installed the new grommet at the base of the water tube. Put everything back together with the new pump. Started it, no mist of water coming from the two exhaust ports in the midsection. Carb heated up. Soon it was too hot to touch so I shut it down before the gas could start boiling.
              I restarted it and while it was running I removed the drain screw at the base of the head. The water that dribbled out was initially hot then it turned cool. My guess is that the hot water was draining back down from the head and out the drain. Once drained, only the cool water being pumped from the test tank came up the tube and out the drain. So the water is reaching the head, but apparently not circulating around the head and out with the exhaust. Just not enough water pressure? I’m about to throw in the towel!

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have you tried it without the prop on it?

chacha53
                Participant

No, I haven’t. What’s your thought?

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No real thought,just reducing variables.If it runs hot in the barrel with no prop,then you know the pump is not sucking air do to excess turbulence or that the pump is inefficient under load.

chacha53
                    Participant

Good points. I’ll take the prop off and try
                      it. Probably tomorrow. Thanks!

chacha53
                      Participant

I removed the propeller and ran it. Still no water mist coming from the exhaust ports. I removed the drain screw from the base of the head again, still just a dribble of water coming out. I’m stumped.
                        It starts right up and runs great. A nice little motor, just refuses to pump enough water.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.