Home Forum Ask A Member HELP-Evin. mod 6302s 6hp impeller problem

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Or…… You could just pull the powerhead and inspect / replace the lower crankshaft seals just like a 5.5. That’s really not that much more involved and you can see what you’re doing. Just going to need new powerhead base gasket. 😉
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Might try using wooden door shims and keep adding them to put pressure on it while turning the crank shaft back and forth should pop off

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

bookfuzz
        Participant

I don’t think I’ve made myself clear on this.
          I am familiar with the entire set up because I’ve done many older OMCs including pulling the power head to change an impeller so this is all familiar to me.
          My problem is that the shift link nuts do not want to come free with just a screw driver and I’m trying not to mess up the slot by continually slipping with the driver.
          The gap will not allow a socket into the area.
          Until I get the shift link open and the rod separated I don’t think the drive shaft pins even come into play.
          I’ve done these many times over the years but never had a problem like this one.
          I’m wondering if someone has boogered the link and put in larger bolts (not unseen before) but I’m wondering if they somehow inserted the shift rod to high into the link which would not allow full separation of the unit. I would think that would have messed up the shift alignment though.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

use a 1/4in drive socket always worked for me. they are slimmer.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant
              quote Dave Bernard:

use a 1/4in drive socket always worked for me. they are slimmer.

I have used a 1/4"drive socket with success several times before. You did have it in reverse ?

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

bookfuzz
              Participant

1/4 inch is what I’m using. to tight for the socket.
                Think I’ll take apart one of the other 2 I have and get a look at it.
                Similar but not exact to this model.
                I think it’s had some creative mechanics done to it in the past.

bookfuzz
                Participant

Don’t want to put to much into it. This is part of an estate I’m helping the family with.
                  The old guy died with 13 boats and motors. They needed to get them off the land so they could sell the house.
                  One of the 6 hp motors is frozen. I may just pull the head on this one and swap it for a running rig to sell. Not any profit in wasting time on a no go.

Interesting that one of the boats is a Larson from about 1951. with oak gunnels.
                  I may rebuild that one for myself. I have a 1959 Evinrude 18 hp that would go well with it.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you end up pulling the powerhead, your problems with this one are likely to go away.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.