Home Forum Ask A Member Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    t-bell
    Participant

Have a video of it running and dieing but can’t attach it for some reason, don’t know if that would help identify the problem?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The vent is the vent on the fuel tank I believe. If you have one of those new plastic EPA friendly self venting / unvented fuel tanks, forget that part. The idea is you don’t want the fuel pump trying to pull against a vacuum in the tank.

Yes, the float is supposed to sit parallel to the flange of the carb body when it is held upside down.

You cannot post a video directly to this website. It has to be posted to a hosting site such as YouTube and the link would be posted here. The video would be very interesting to see and it very well may help us identify the problem.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

Have you checked the fuel pump or tried pumping the tank line bulb as the motor is dying? If pumping the tank line bulb keeps the dying motor running, then you most likely have a fuel pump problem.

t-bell
          Participant

Also no I never did clean the chamber under the expandable Welch plug when I cleaned it last, didn’t know it was removable and serviceable until recently. Is it something that HAS to be removed or will soaking and blasting with carb cleaner be enough with some compressed air as well? Carb wasn’t terribly dirty when I cleaned it last

t-bell
            Participant
              quote Fisherman6:

The vent is the vent on the fuel tank I believe. If you have one of those new plastic EPA friendly self venting / unvented fuel tanks, forget that part. The idea is you don’t want the fuel pump trying to pull against a vacuum in the tank.

Yes, the float is supposed to sit parallel to the flange of the carb body when it is held upside down.

You cannot post a video directly to this website. It has to be posted to a hosting site such as YouTube and the link would be posted here. The video would be very interesting to see and it very well may help us identify the problem.

-Ben

Ahhhh well if that’s the case then yes I have a new vented attwood tank

Float seemed to want to sit at a slight angle so I adjusted it to sit pretty straight

I’ll post the YouTube link as soon as it uploads I have two videos actually

Thanks for your help Ben, much appreciated

t-bell
              Participant
                quote aquasonic:

Have you checked the fuel pump or tried pumping the tank line bulb as the motor is dying? If pumping the tank line bulb keeps the dying motor running, then you most likely have a fuel pump problem.

Hey aquasonic, thanks for the tip! Already tried pumping the bulb to keep the motor from dying but didn’t have any effect.

Did however just checked in on fuel pump screen and it had a little bit of stuff behind it but not much

Attachments:

t-bell
                Participant

Here’s the two videos I have of it running up till it dies
                  https://youtu.be/IUrylx9jhkU
                  https://youtu.be/LKEe8-XSzdo

b-dittmar
                  Participant

US Member

1965 still has the shock absorber in the gear case and after watching the video That is the problem.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My money says Ben Dittmar’s response is spot on. The shock absorber has been sprung / broken in your lower unit. The shock absorber will grow in length when it breaks and the top of the shock absorber will wear heavily into the bottom of the driveshaft bearing carrier under the water pump. I just finished up a 1960 Fisherman that had a broken shock absorber. The bearing carrier ended up getting replaced because it was badly damaged by the shock. See the pictures below.

The shock absorber will need to be squeezed back together to.its original length and the seam between the halves welded. Once it is welded, use a brass shear pin for the prop instead of the steel one. That will protect the gears from damage should you hit a solud object with the prop.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

t-bell
                      Participant
                        quote B-Dittmar:

1965 still has the shock absorber in the gear case and after watching the video That is the problem.

Hmmm interesting, a shock absorber? That looks like a pain to change and even harder to find, marineengines doesn’t carry that part #10,go figure, unfortunately. Just out of curiosity what leads you to believe it’s the shock absorber? Or how can you tell it’s what is bad and causing this? How could it have gone bad and what are the other symptoms of a bad shock absorber?

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 95 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.