Home Forum Ask A Member Help with Elgin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chacha53
    Participant

Hello all. I have a 1953 7.5 hp Westbend Elgin. I am having a terrible time with the impeller. I have purchased two reproductions from two different suppliers. The first one lasted about a total of one hour running time and the second about a total of 10 minutes. The second one disintegrated today on first test run of the season. Any suggestions?
      Also, I can’t get the glass sediment bowl to stop leaking. I have tried cork and fibre gaskets but it still leaks. Has anyone had the same problem and solved it?

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Would this impeller fit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sears-Elgi … 51e0b98836

Prepare to be boarded!

chacha53
        Participant

Mine is the other one in the example given. Thank you for trying.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

I have one of the 7 1/2s like yours, great runners.. My original impeller had a couple blades that were partly torn. For no more than I run it, I just cut those two off, and went ahead and put the impeller back in. I know I need to put in a new one, but I’ve never got around to it.. maybe someone else can recommend a good supplier. As far as a gasket for the fuel bowl, i use paper gasket material cut from bulk. It’s a little tricky to make, but can be done. One thing I can tell you, is that if the little fuel screen is stretched out, or deformed, it makes the gasket not seal well. Try moving the gasket around a little before snugging up the bowl nut. FYI, the gas oil mix on your Elgin is 16/1. Have you tried here for an impeller? http://www.elginoutboard.com/

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Use an o-ring on the sediment bowl.

mike-stroz
              Participant

As a last ditch, I’d try some RTV on the sediment bowl. I’ve had a couple of those that wouldn’t seal with the paper or fiber gasket alone

auldscott
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know whether he is still doing them, but I bought one for my 1953 7.5 from Bob Long, flyingscott91@yahoo.com. It has held up well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.