Home Forum Ask A Member how fast should i be able to go?

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Randy in Tampa
    Participant

31 mph With two people on GPS with my 1950 Johnson PO with a Michigan AM 33 prop on a 1954 12′ Larson Commander "speedster" I believe it’s the same Hull as Crestliner but without the windshield ,Larson just pre-dated Crestliner 😉

quote Pappy:

I think Randy in Tampa has the same hull as you with a rear steering set up. Much better performance. He ran a PO on his last time. In my experience with three different engines on my Gheenoe (18hp, Speeditwin @22hp, and a PO) they all ran around 27mph with the same load.
      I think Randy was running better than your speeds pretty easily so you have something to look forward to.
      Fleetwin is correct on raising the engine but the biggest bang for the buck will come with moving the steering back and setting the trim to free up the hull.

Attachments:

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Opposed,
        When I set up my motor I run my cav plate even with the bottom of the transom or even a tiny bit higher. Use a straight edge along the center keel & set the cav height even with that. Be sure to have the cav plate running on the same plane as your boat bottom too. It must cut thru the water at the same angle as the boat for starters. Remember if you set the motor out just one pin it changes the plate angle too so height must be reset to run true.
        I just am even with the water with my cav plate running wot. Remember too when the water passes under & out the rear it instantly raises level before
        getting to the leg of the motor. This gives another 1.5" or so of level of water at wot. Also be so careful how high the clamps are running on the inside of the transom & be sure to chain the motor to the boat too. My 12 tinny with a 63 Merc 200 runs very well using this formula & runs full rpm with stock 3 blade prop that is aluminim. Wish I had a Stainless Steel same to run. I’m only 02 hp different except I hide the 22hp under the 200 cover.
        Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.