Home Forum Ask A Member ID Old 2-cylinder Outboard Help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sashko1
    Participant

Hello,

can someone identify this old motor for me please? I got it for a descent price (I hope) at an estate sale for $25. Fell in love with its looks, and I want to make it look like it’s Million bucks!

This motor’s got bronze (I think) exhaust pipe and lower gear unit, that must shine once polished, won’t it?

Also, compression seems to be wonderful on it. The previous owner (rest his soul in Peace) must have started restoring it at some point because the electrical components under the flywheel seem to be very clean. I made a precautionary experiment and sprayed some SeaFoam top cylinder lubricant into the spark plug hole and then after re-installing the plugs pulled the flywheel several times and this thing COUGHED!!! Good sign, right?!!! That made my evening yesterday!

Anyway, can someone tell me what it is, please? I’d need to buy / find some parts for it eventually: steering handle (the one on it doesn’t appear to be original and probably a slow speed needle (the one currently used doesn’t look to be "complete" even though it can be screwed in and out.

Attaching some pictures for reference, there’s serial number on the plate also: 40160315.

Thank you!!!

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The number 401 I believe is the model number… Which is a 1931 4 hp…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

sashko1
        Participant

Is this competent information or maybe … (?) I did some research and found a web site that led me to "4016 is 1934 Evinrude Fisherman 4 HP"(?)

Tom
          Participant

US Member

I’ve always used this rule when dealing with the early 30’s Evinrudes: If the number is seven digits, the first three are the model number. In your case, the number is eight digits, so the model number is the first four. I believe 4016 is the correct model number. (The 401 had a metal rotary impeller and no exhaust tube.) The powerheads on these two motors are nearly identical.

Tom

sashko1
            Participant

Awesome! Thank you.

What is the proper starting procedure for this motor? How do I apply choke during a cold start? Also, Fast / Slow situation… Is Fast to the right?

Tom
              Participant

US Member

From the photo it looks like the mixture screw(needle valve) is broken off in the carburetor, so that will need to be addressed before anything else. If you manage to get the needle valve out and replace it, the carb will need a thorough cleaning.

T

sashko1
                Participant

The picture doesn’t clearly show the condition of the mixture screw (shadowing effect). I believe what’s broken off is a disc from the top part of the screw. The screw actually sticks out maybe 1/4 inch out of the carburetor, you can actually see it on the bottom picture that I attached. I can easily unscrew/screw it in with my fingers.

sashko1
                  Participant

Oh, almost forgot… What’s the proper gas:oil mixture?

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

From my 1934 catalog – – – 😉

sashko1
                      Participant

Oh, my! Thank you so much!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.