Home Forum Ask A Member Identify this lower unit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can anyone identify this lower unit (what motor it fits) by the photos here?
      Thanks, -DK

Attachments:

Randy in Tampa
      Participant

model 6039 Speeditwin lower unit, there were three different lower units as I remember that would be the newest, I think 😎

Attachments:

davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Awesome! Thanks for your help, Randy!
          -Dave

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Those were used on Speeditwins and Speedifours around 1947-1948. Origenly designed for the 50 horse "Storm boat motor" they had wings on the gear case to help protect the propeller. They had a couple thousand in stock preparing a big shipment for the invasion of Japan. They were suddenly surplus when President Truman dropped the A Bombs on Japan, so they used them where they could. They ran out in ’47 and the next castings were without the wings. (Most people were sawing them off anyway) In 1949 they redesigned the lower unit and added a rear water pickup in 1950. The full shift Big Twin came out in 1951. . . 😀

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very interesting, Gary. Thanks for the details!
              -DK

Tom
              Participant

US Member

David, it’s tough to tell without a ruler in the photo for size, but it looks to be smaller than the Speeditwin lower unit. And the number seems early. Without seeing it in person, I think it looks like something from an early Sportfour or Elto Super A.

Tom

Edit: OK, a little more research indicates that the bolt pattern isn’t right for the Sportfour or the Super A. Those had the bolts outside the exhaust inlet. What size prop will fit?

Tom

twostroke
                Participant

I agree….it looks exactly like the one on my (God-awful heavy!) Sportfour. I can supply dimensions tonight if you you tell me what you wanna’ know.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are so many great reasons to belong to this club! So much knowledge and eagerness to help.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

The Sportfour lower unit is quiet different . . . 😕

Anonymous

Late 1947,1948,1949 Speeditwin and Speedifour

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.