Home Forum Ask A Member Ignition switch swap out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Hi embarrassed by my limited knowledge to start..

Last year I asked the question about an boat i bought that didnt come with the key. Long story ,bought of sister etc etc.

Tried every key i have at home, which was more than i would have guessed nothing worked. Can find any numbers or code on the switch itself so.

Well it is on a 1957 johnson javelin. It looks like the easiest solution is wire in a new starter switch. So with my limited ability, it looks like the current swith is mounted on the dash with three wires connected. I am seeing that there are three position and four position iginition switches . I have four wires that run from the junction box at the back to the ignition switch but only three hooke up.

Question when i buy the new switch how will i know what wire goes where.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Well in the first place, a 1957 did not come with an ignition switch. Only a start button and a choke button. So, you need to figure out if it was modified for an ignition switch. Coming from under the magneto will be the two spark plug wires. Also, as it came from the factory, there will be a third, smaller wire going to the vacuum switch. Now, the question is, do you see a fourth (small) wire?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

This is how Johnson wired it:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

This is how Johnson wired the 1958 (with ignition switch)

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Note that the 1958 (with ignition switch) has a different plug on the side of the motor to accommodate the extra black wires to the switch

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Are you sure your motor is a 1957?

If it is a 1957, (Model RDE-19) – like Frank said, there was only a starter button so someone cobbled in a switch from something else.

There is an aftermarket switch that should work like the one in Frank’s 1958 diagram, but you need to know where your wires go to tell you how to connect it.. https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-21157.aspx?searchEngineName=sierra-ignition-switch-18-1801 It was designed to replace several different switches, so it has 5 terminals, but you have to know which four terminals to use and what wires to connect to them. Your existing switch is probably not stock, if it is, say a stock 1958 or somewhat newer switch, it is a double-edged key and there would have been a number stamped by the keyhole.

I suggest you locate a friend that has some knowledge of circuits and/or outboard igniton wiring that can figure out how your current switch is wired and guide you – without seeing your wiring myself, the advice above is all I can give.

Do not guess at this wiring or you will likely fry some wires and the new switch.
                Dave

billy-t
                Participant

Thanks for the information, been a way on some vacation.

When the thunderstorm is over I will try and post some pictures to help understand my situation.

Bill

phil-b
                  Participant

If you want to go with a key switch, you’ll need one for magneto ignition (two M terminals). I seem to recall the wrong switch or wiring can send 12V to the magneto and nuke the coils. All that said, it isn’t rocket science, and a basic meter or continuity tester is all you need to figure it out. If you’re in luck, the existing wire colors will help indicate what is what

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So there are only three wires on the current key switch, correct? Sounds like someone just substituted a key switch for the original start button…
                      If the wiring is original, then one wire will be battery positive to power up the switch. One of the other wires will run over to the choke button/switch. The other wire runs back to the solenoid to power it up when the key switch is turned to "start".
                      Do the wire colors conform to the colors shown in Frank’s 1957 diagram (two green and one red wire)?
                      If so, I would just purchase a three pole key switch. The two green wires go to the "bat" terminal. The one red lead goes to the "start/solenoid" terminal…
                      Post some pictures if you can…

billy-t
                      Participant

Hi Again, boy has it been a busy summer, moving kids, family stuff….

Again I may have to get a buddy to lend a hand as I have very little skill or ability.

Last night I removed the starter switch mechanism, and mastered seventy six new yoga moves getting under the dash to do so.

Here are some pictures. There are three wires coming from the Junction box. they are all black with no markings within a single case.

One goes to the centre post, another goes to the lower right and the the other to the lower left. So if I buy a new swith, 3 post do I just install the same? I havent opened the junction box at the back and would have no idea how to use a multi-meter to check so as I said may have to get a friend with skill to help.

I will post some pictures of what I had for a starting switch as soon as I refresh my memory on how to do s!.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.