Home Forum Ask A Member Is this a 9.5 gearcase?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Looks to fit a 6/9.5hp…what are the extra fins on the skeg for? It’s overall in pretty good shape.

david-bartlett
      Participant

I would guess it is an attempt to protect the prop from rocks, etc.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Supposedly, it helps to get it up on plane. Trim tabs, if you will. I’m a bit surprised, I didn’t realize they were put on small motors like that. They did make a bunch of motors in the 40hp class with them. I lot of people would cut them off. They caused more drag than they benefitted. Not to mention how many weeds they gathered up here in the swamps.

johnyrude200
          Participant

Sounds like a good candidate to add to my oddities and notables collection.

I acquired one of the prop guard accessories for a 6hp motor recently too (the kind that looks like a big round shield encapsulating the prop). Im sure this keeps the prop safe, but I wonder how much drag it created.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The diameter of the lower driveshaft bushing might determine whether it is for a 6 or 9.5/9.9/15commercial.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

I have a brand new gearcase housing in that size with with the wings. The part number makes it a commercial 14hp. The years I show that was built were 1988 & ’89. Not sure if it was used anywhere else. It should fit other engines, but not sure which ones. I have had a tough time figuring out what parts go inside to make it a complete gearcase assembly. It has a bearing driveshaft both upper and lower. Seems to be a heavy duty case. I am like Frank and others. If I was to use it, the wings would be removed.

Dan in TN

chinewalker
                Participant

US Member

The Commercial 14 unit used the larger 5-bolt gear case housing, commonly used on the (then) 28 SPL. The unit in the pic above is a smaller 4-bolt housing, as used on the 6 & 9.5 series. That is the first time I’ve seen a winged skeg on one of those gear cases, but I have seen them on the 14/25 and 40hp gear cases.

johnyrude200
                  Participant

Must be a rare prototype that should be coveted by wealthy oil-barons who would pay high $$$ for my retirement fund (JOKING).

Michael
                    Participant

International Member

I have a 1981 6hp Johnson "workhorse" (commerical?) engine that came with those wings on the lower.

chinewalker
                      Participant

US Member

That may be what it is from…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.