Home Forum Ask A Member Is this a good deal?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

See ad:
      https://knoxville.craigslist.org/bpo/d/ … 98163.html
      Is the Majestic easy to work on? Parts available?
      I figure I probably can’t go wrong for $100.

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I wouldn’t argue that price if the Majestic turns over….That’s a pretty cool motor in my opinion. Parts are going to be somewhat hard to get but not impossible.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Majestic is a Champion. Interesting and powerful motor, and not many of them out there. Sea King is very common, found all over. I’d go for the Majestic, if I had any use for it.

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Grab ’em! Great deal!

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes! I think it’s a decent deal as well. I don’t believe i’ve ever seen a majestic tank. They have to have been together since purchase date. I’d give $100 for all that stuff for sure. Go!

jcrigan
              Participant

The tank and the fitting you probably will not find anywhere. I would go for it at that price.

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

Well, I now own 2 more outboards! Got them both for $70. The Majestic is complete and in great shape – compression a little low "as-bought" at 65psi on both cylinders. I’ve oiled up the cylinders and will re-check after they’ve soaked awhile. The tank has some surface rust inside – should clean up nicely. No dents and the decals are still there. It came with a manual, but no year listed. Anyone have any idea on the year? Model #M6LLGS and Serial#700445. Checked for spark – no dice. It has a Phelon magneto, so I’ll have to rip into that. Looks to be all original – the gas lines are petrified, and the wires look original too. Had some rusty Champion J8J’s in it, which is what the manual calls for. The motor only weighs 54 pounds – seems pretty light for a 15hp. Anyone know who might have parts? Looks like a fun project.

jcrigan
                  Participant

You can substitute omc coils for the cracked phelon coils. Original fuel/oil is 3/4 pint oil to the gallon. The gearbox you use 30 wt non detergent oil. Champion, Voyager, Sea Flyer are brands that share the same parts. It has a rubber impeller, I think a Honda impeller may work with some adjustments. Consult a service manual before removing the gearbox. I think yours is a 1954 model.

Anonymous

Looks to be a 1954 or 1955 model. Have fun with this one. Nice find.
                      Kirk
                      http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_majestic.html

seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member

Hi Lindy,

I didn’t check the link quick enough so I didn’t get to see the pics of what you ended up with. I have a 15HP Majestic that I bought locally last year. About to get to it as a project and re-do the ignition coils.

Do you want a manual for the 15? I have that and a couple of other manuals and Service Bulletins in PDF…..PM me your e-mail address if you’d like me to send them along to you.

Chuck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.