Home Forum Ask A Member Jetmaster 8hp outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chancem007
    Participant

I found an old jetmaster outboard motor made by California jet marine and air research from Beverly Hills, CA. Anyone know any more about this motor? Rare? What is it worth? Etc. any information would be great.

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

All I know is what I read in Peter Hunn’s "the Old Outboard Book" . . . 😎

mike-stroz
        Participant

I wouldn’t mind getting something like that. Looks pretty interesting

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It’s a Cal Jet from the 1960’s. This is a deluxe model. I think your decal must say 3.8 hp and not 8 hp as the Cal Jets used a 4 hp Lauson Power Products – Tecumseh air cooled power head. It’s a very neat motor. I have the Econo-Jet version. It pushes more like a 2 hp or less. It’s not especially rare or valuable. I paid $100 for mine and I get chastised about it all the time. Money well spent to me. It’s a goofy underperforming outboard with this crazy windup starter recoil – I love it.

Also, here is some information I learned about mine that is INVALUABLE. Mine would overheat. Turns out I had the carb set to lean.

Exclamation Re: Help identify Lauson outboard jetdrive?
            When you adjust your carb, do not set it so the engine sings like a bee at high speed! Proper setting is to adjust for best running, after the engine is warmed up, THEN back out the fuel adjuster until the engine JUST begins to break up. If you set up too lean, it causes overheating as described in the forum posted by Steve AW. At idle, set for best running, then back out the needle 1/8 turn. Steve, if you are on that forum, please pass along the info I posted. The owner probably has it set too lean. One other thing will cause heating – bad crankshaft seals.

I am surprised that that engine has the wind up starter. Those starters were only used for a few years, due to the fact that the sudden application of the strong spring on the pawl and crankshaft often lead to 2 things. 1) the starter pawl would break out the side of the starter cup on the engine or 2) the starter would actually snap the crank, where it passed into the block! A better choice would have been the pull cord starter. They both use the same starter cup and mounting on the engine shroud. Nice looking units!

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

kevinrude
            Participant

According to Mr. Hunn’s book, the Cal-Jet was produced for only one year (1965) and came in three models: 4-HP Econojet (E-4), Ramjet (R-4) and Jetmaster (8.8 HP). Some had crank release starters.

I’ve got a Schnake Mid-Jet and a Cary Jet. I might have to think about getting into Jet Motor collecting. Hmmmmmm.

Headquartered at 9747 Wiltshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills, CA. A quick look at this address in Google Maps shows what looks to be a 60s era office building. Could be the same place?!?

The Boat House
              Participant
                labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My flyer is a little different than Mister Tubs. 4400 might be a four horse power. Address is also different.

dale

Attachments:

kirkp
                  Participant

The advertising lit is a hoot. You listen to the marketing department it was the best thing since sliced bread. I like how they give stats (such as 11 knot speed) that the majority of people couldn’t compare to other motors.

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

That’s cool. I didn’t realize they made an 8.8 hp. The cylinder doesn’t seem any bigger than the 4 hp, but it’s hard to tell in a photo I guess. The Cal Jet was produced for more than one year. There are references to them in magazines as early as 1962.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

wrenchero
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i looked at one 20 years ago in an old mans shed. i liked it and asked him how much. he told me he could get 600 on ebay. i didnt buy it but i thought it was a neat engine and would like to have one

mn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.